Philip Hill has over 20 years' experience dealing with a wide range of commercial, corporate, financial services and banking disputes and regulatory issues. He has extensive experience handling complex, multiparty and frequently cross-border disputes in the courts and in arbitration.
Particular areas of expertise include professional negligence and fraud, advising claimants and defendants on complex professional negligence disputes; IT disputes and issues relating to online gaming; and Insurance. Philip regularly acts for policyholders on significant coverage disputes, including in the financial services, oil and gas, energy and infrastructure sectors.
Philip also advises on non-contentious aspects of risk management. This includes advising professional services firms as well as drafting and reviewing insurance programmes and wordings, including advising on regulatory issues (Basel II/III compliance).
Philip co-heads Clifford Chance's contentious insurance group, which is rated Tier 1 for policyholder claims by the Legal 500.
PRA publishes PS8/19 on eligibility of guarantees as unfunded CRM under CRR
14 March 2019
The rising tide of litigation against directors
2 October 2018
The challenge of experience: Allianz Insurance Plc and Sirius International Insurance Corporation v Tonicstar Limited  EWCA Civ 434
20 April 2018
PRA consults on interpretation of eligibility criteria for unfunded credit risk mitigation
23 February 2018
Claimants unbound - Direct actions against insurers under the Brussels I Regulation
7 August 2017
Career and qualifications
- St Edmund Hall, Oxford (BA, Jurisprudence) 1987
- Joined Clifford Chance 1989
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1991
- Partner since 1999
- Member of the City of London Law Society Insurance Law Committee
Awards and citations
- "Hill "deserves a special mention" – he is "very intelligent, and copes easily with highly complex issues"."
- "Philip Hill is praised for his "very good, very sensible" approach to litigation. He is known for his ability to handle financial institutions-related work, including a number of recent cases in which he has represented major banks and building societies in professional indemnity and D&O claims. Another major strength lies in political risk insurance, where he has advised a client in connection with the expropriation of oil industry-related assets in Venezuela."
- "Philip Hill is adept in both insurance and reinsurance matters, particularly those related to the energy sector. One source praises him as "a very bright man who has an unusually tight grasp of the legal cases he's working on". A client states: "He's very commercial and non-confrontational, with a steady manner which works towards facilitating an agreement"."
Chambers UK 2014
- "The talented Philip Hill is noted for his capabilities in the political risk sphere, and he also handles D&O and mis-selling cases."
Chambers UK 2012