Nigel Wellings has extensive experience advising on the full range of corporate transactions.
Nigel is a partner in the London private equity team working on European and Energy Market private equity. He spent five years in our Dubai office working on a range of transactions in the MENA region. He has a broad practice covering private company M&A, joint ventures, equity investments and reorganizations for financial sponsors. He works across a number of sectors, most notably financial services, FMCG and infrastructure.
- Advised Carrefour in the reorganisation of its partnership with Majid Al Futtaim Holding
- Advised Carlyle on their first investment into Jordan
Finance Monthly Deal Maker of the Year Awards 2013
- Advised Aujan Industries on the signing of a $980 million transaction with The Coca-Cola Company
M&A Deal of the Year - ALB The Brief Middle East Law Awards 2012
Clifford Chance a conseillé le consortium composé d'APG, QIC et Swiss Life dans le cadre de l'acquisition de 36% du capital de Brussels Airport
4 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises CDC Group on its US$180m equity investment in Liquid Telecom
12 December 2018
Clifford Chance advises The Carlyle Group in acquiring majority stake in East African pharmaceutical leader
14 September 2018
Clifford Chance advises CDC in its investment to support rise of affordable business hotels across Africa
20 December 2017
Clifford Chance advise CDC on the largest announced equity investment transaction in East Africa this year
7 October 2016
Global M&A Toolkit
- Nigel focuses on structural considerations in Private Equity transactions in the Middle East (Jun 2013)
Directors' Liability for Unlawful Dividends
27 June 2019
UK nationalisation: The law and the cost - 2019 update
20 May 2019
'Briefing against the board': when disruptive directors risk breaching their duties
18 March 2019
An otherwise lawful dividend can be a transaction defrauding creditors
7 February 2019
Labour's Plan for the Compulsory Acquisition of 10% of All Large UK Companies by 'Inclusive Ownership Funds'
27 September 2018
Career and qualifications
- University of Nottingham (Law with American Law (LLB, Am) 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance 1995
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Partner since 2006
- The Law Society of England and Wales
Awards and citations
- Nigel Wellings receives plaudits for his considerable technical abilities, with sources adding: "He's a good listener and provides a good way forward."
Chambers Global 2014: UAE - Corporate/M&A High End Cross Border (Band 1)
- Nigel Wellings enters the rankings on the back of client and peer praise for his “high level of technical expertise" and some impressive work for private equity companies.
Chambers Global 2013 UAE - Corporate/M&A and Corporate/Commercial