Nelson Jung specialises in EU and UK competition law across a wide range of industry sectors.
Nelson rejoined the firm from the UK's Competition and Markets Authority where he was the Director of Mergers Group. He previously held a number of senior positions at the CMA's predecessor, the Office of Fair Trading, including Director of Competition Enforcement and Head of Mergers.
Nelson is a member of the core leadership team for the firm's Tech Group.
- Advising a tech company in relation to an EU antitrust investigation
- Advising a tech company in relation to the CMA market study into online platforms and digital advertising
- Advising Motor Fuel Group on its £1.2 billion acquisition of MRH, U.K.'s largest petrol station and convenience retail operator
- Advising Delivery Hero on the sale of Hungry House (the online UK food ordering service) to Just Eat
- Advising Booker Group plc on the antitrust aspects of its £3.7 billion merger with Tesco plc
- Advising ClearScore on the sale of its business to Experian
- Advising Mastercard on its acquisition of VocaLink
Experience while at the Competition and Markets Authority and Office of Fair Trading:
- Director responsible for the delivery of over 200 merger decisions across a wide range of industries, including consumer goods and retail, online services, healthcare and rail
- Playing a leading role in developing UK merger policy, including the drafting of several CMA guidelines and publications
- Leading on several antitrust investigations and acting as decision-maker in cases in the pharmaceutical sector and electronic platform services
- Regularly representing the CMA and OFT domestically and internationally, including before Parliamentary Committees, the European Competition Network, the EU Merger Working Group and the OECD
Clifford Chance and AS&H advise PIF and SABIC on the USD 69.1 billion sale of PIF’s shareholding in SABIC to Saudi Aramco – the largest ever M&A deal in the Middle East
18 June 2020
Clifford Chance advises JPJ Group plc on its £490 million strategic combination with Gamesys to create a world-class online gaming company
25 June 2019
Clifford Chance advises Motor Fuel Group on its £1.2 billion acquisition of MRH, U.K.’s largest petrol station and convenience retail operator
9 March 2018
Clifford Chance advises LV= on Allianz joint venture to create third largest personal insurer in the UK market
7 August 2017
Clifford Chance advises Mastercard to gain antitrust approval to acquire VocaLink
11 April 2017
Career and qualifications
- Université Paris (Erasmus, European Law) 1998
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität (First state exam in law) 2000
- Regional Court Darmstadt; Gleiss Lutz (Second state exam in law) 2002
- Admitted as a Rechtsanwalt in Germany 2003
- University College London (LLM) 2004
- Admitted as solicitor in England & Wales 2007
- Partner since 2016
Awards and citations
- "Has an excellent standing in the community and strong relationships with the major competition agencies"
Chambers Europe 2019: Competition Law
- "He has a strong structured approach based on precedents from CMA cases"
Chambers UK 2020: Competition Law
- "Outstandingly responsive, thorough and creative"
Legal 500 2018 EU and Competition
- Identified as a Future Leader for Competition in Who's Who Legal
- Identified as a 'Next Generation Partner' in Legal 500 UK 2020 for EU and Competition
- Identified as an 'Up and Coming' lawyer in Chambers UK 2020 for Competition Law