Nelson Jung specialises in EU and UK competition law across a wide range of industry sectors.
Nelson rejoined the firm from the UK's Competition and Markets Authority where he was the Director of Mergers Group. He previously held a number of senior positions at the CMA's predecessor, the Office of Fair Trading, including Director of Competition Enforcement and Head of Mergers.
Nelson is a member of the core leadership team for the firm's Tech Group.
- Delivery Hero on its acquisition of Glovo
- Montagu on its acquisition of Capita’s ESS and investment in Parentpay Group
- Recordati on its $845 million acquisition of EUSA PharmaAdvising a tech company in relation to an EU antitrust investigation
- Advising a tech company in relation to the CMA market study into online platforms and digital advertising
- Advising Motor Fuel Group on its £1.2 billion acquisition of MRH, U.K.'s largest petrol station and convenience retail operator
- Advising Delivery Hero on the sale of Hungry House (the online UK food ordering service) to Just Eat
- Advising Booker Group plc on the antitrust aspects of its £3.7 billion merger with Tesco plc
- Advising ClearScore on the sale of its business to Experian
- Advising Mastercard on its acquisition of VocaLink
Experience while at the Competition and Markets Authority and Office of Fair Trading:
- Director responsible for the delivery of over 200 merger decisions across a wide range of industries, including consumer goods and retail, online services, healthcare and rail
- Playing a leading role in developing UK merger policy, including the drafting of several CMA guidelines and publications
- Leading on several antitrust investigations and acting as decision-maker in cases in the pharmaceutical sector and electronic platform services
- Regularly representing the CMA and OFT domestically and internationally, including before Parliamentary Committees, the European Competition Network, the EU Merger Working Group and the OECD
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Université Paris (Erasmus, European Law) 1998
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität (First state exam in law) 2000
- Regional Court Darmstadt; Gleiss Lutz (Second state exam in law) 2002
- Admitted as a Rechtsanwalt in Germany 2003
- University College London (LLM) 2004
- Admitted as solicitor in England & Wales 2007
- Partner since 2016
Awards and citations
- "Nelson Jung has incredible commercial acumen and a clear understanding of the best path to navigate complex situations for an optimal outcome.“
Chambers & Partners 2023 UK: Competition
- "Nelson Jung's outstanding knowledge of competition law makes him unique. He is very responsive and always available. He draws on excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, and his experience as a former regulator is very valuable."
Recommended in Chambers 2022 Competition Law
- Identified as a 'Leading Individual'
Legal 500 UK 2021: EU and Competition
- Identified as an 'Recommended' lawyer
Chambers UK 2021: Competition Law
- "He has a strong structured approach based on precedents from CMA cases"
Chambers UK 2020: Competition Law
- "Has an excellent standing in the community and strong relationships with the major competition agencies"
Chambers Europe 2019: Competition Law