Michael Lyons specialises in contentious regulatory matters including investigations and enforcement, commercial and financial services litigation/disputes and compliance advice.
Michael has acted for clients during investigations and disciplinary action brought by domestic and international regulators. Michael's particular focus is on financial crime compliance issues, including economic sanctions, anti-money laundering and anti-bribery/corruption. He has been actively involved in providing advice to a broad range of financial institutions, corporates and individuals in this area.
- Leading an internal investigation for a global financial institution in relation to breaches of financial sanctions and reporting and governance issues and liaising with UK and overseas regulators.
- Advising a UK financial institution in relation to dual track civil and criminal investigation by the FCA under the Money Laundering Regulations 2017.
- Defending a bank in a multi-million pound commercial dispute, successfully resisting the jurisdiction of the English court.
- Providing advice on multiple sanctions, AML and ABC compliance and risk management matters and investigations.
Michael also regularly undertakes risk reviews of high-risk products and services within financial institutions as well as corporate enterprises and provides compliance training for a wide spectrum of financial services firms and at external conferences and seminars.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- New College, Oxford University (BA Jurisprudence) 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance as a trainee solicitor 2004
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2006
- Partner since 2016
- Michael is a member of our global Sanctions and Export Controls Risk team