Michael Bates specialises in banking and capital markets work, primarily in the infrastructure sector, and restructuring. He has extensive knowledge of leverage finance and corporate lending. His clients include banks, financial sponsors and corporates.
Michael has worked on some of the most significant matters in the infrastructure sector including the acquisition and subsequent refinancing of BAA, Kelda Water, Opengrid Europe, Arqiva and UK Power Networks.
Michael does not receive CVs, applications or recruitment enquiries directly. CVs, applications or recruitment enquiries that are sent to Michael will not be processed or acknowledged. All enquiries should be directed to the Recruitment team.
- The MLAs on the circa GBP£3 billion bank and bond refinancing programme for Arqiva
- Commerzbank AG on a EUR€1.2 billion revolving loan facility for Vestas Wind Systems
- Copenhagen Airport shareholders on a complex holding company loan
- The MLAs on financing Macquarie's acquisition of Thyssengas and Open Grid Europe
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Exeter University (LLB) 1990
- Joined Clifford Chance as an Articled Clerk 1991
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 1995
- Partner since 2001
- Co-head of the London Finance practice 2010 - 2014
- Head of the London Finance practice 2014 - 2017
- Regional Managing Partner, London since 2018
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of Hong Kong
Awards and citations
- Michael Bates "will tell you what is important and what isn't and he has the ability to cut to the chase and push things along," clients say. He is one of the firm's most visible lawyers, and has a sterling track record in handling cross-border and structured finance deals. He recently acted for Commerzbank as the mandated lead arranger on the EUR1.2 billion revolving loan facility to Vestas Wind Systems.
- Chambers UK 2013, Banking & Finance - Tier 1
- "...Michael Bates is also highly regarded."
Legal 500 UK 2013, Banking & Finance - Tier 1
- Bates is another favourite among clients: "Michael is one of the best lawyers in the City. He's very experienced anyway, he understands the infrastructure sector very well, he's got a very good manner, he deals with a number of banks at the same time," says one client. "He focuses banks on what they need to look at."
Ranked as a Leading Lawyer - IFLR 1000 2012: Bank Lending