Matt is a partner in the banking & finance group in London, specialising in advising lenders and borrowers in relation to leveraged finance and infrastructure finance transactions.
Recent experience includes advising:
- the mandated lead arrangers on the EUR2.5bn term loan B refinancing of Action (leading European non-food discount retailer owned by 3i).
- the mandated lead arrangers on the EUR2.4bn refinancing of a pan-European portfolio of data centres owned by EQT's portfolio company EdgeConnex.
- the lenders in connection with the financing to support the acquisition and combination of group.ONE and the dogado group by Cinven and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board.
- the arrangers and note purchasers in relation to the EUR620m bank and bond financing for SIRO's fibre roll-out programme in Ireland*
- Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets and other institutions on the EUR6.3bn loan and high yield bond financing for their acquisition of TDC (Danish telecoms operator).
- the mandated lead arrangers on the senior secured financing for the acquisition by PAI Partners of M Group Services.
- the mandated lead arrangers on the senior secured refinancing of Roompot Vakanties (holiday parks operator).
- EQT on the senior secured financing for its acquisition of Curaeos (dental clinics).
- the mandated lead arrangers on the term and revolving facilities provided in connection with the IPO of the Coca-Cola European Partners bottling business.
- the mandated lead arrangers on the senior secured financings for the acquisitions by PAI Partners of Ethypharm, Martindale Pharma and Atos Medical.
- J Sainsbury plc on the financing for its public takeover acquisition of the Argos retail business
* indicates work carried out while at another law firm
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- St Peter's College, Oxford (BA Modern History) 1998
- Birkbeck College London (MSc Economics) 2002
- College of Law (GDL), London 2004
- BPP Law School (LPC), London 2005
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- Partner at Clifford Chance 2015
- Partner at Arthur Cox, Dublin 2018
- Rejoined Clifford Chance as a partner 2022