Marie Berard leads the London International Commercial Arbitration Group.
With over 20 years' experience, Marie acts as counsel for multinational corporations on a wide range of international arbitration proceedings pursuant to the major institutional rules (including LCIA, ICC) and ad-hoc arbitrations under UNCITRAL Rules.
Marie's work spans many economic sectors, with particular emphasis on the energy, oil & gas, construction and finance sectors.
Marie also sits as a sole arbitrator, panel member and chair. In May 2021, she was appointed a member of the LCIA Court for a term of 5 years. She is also the Vice President of the LCIA European Users' Council, a former member of the ICC UK Arbitration and ADR Committee, and ICC UK Selection Subcommittee.
Marie has been recommended by Who’s Who Legal Arbitration in its 2022 publication and featured in the 2019 Legal 500 International Arbitration Powerlist UK.
Marie regularly speaks on international arbitration at conferences and delivers guest lectures at Universities.
With over 700 private equity lawyers across our offices we support our clients throughout the world's major financial centres and emerging markets.
- Representing a consortium of French, Moroccan and Japanese power companies in a London ICC arbitration against a multinational conglomerate relating to a coalfired power plant EPC construction project in Morocco
- Representing an international engineering and construction company in a Zurich ICC arbitration against a subcontractor in connection with a power process plant in Saudi Arabia
- Representing one of the world's largest global banking groups in a London LCIA arbitration (and parallel proceedings in Moscow and anti-suit proceedings in London) in connection with a guarantee against a Russian company
- Representing a high net worth individual in a shareholder dispute with a Russian oligarch concerning a joint venture holding valuable real estate in Moscow in hard-fought LCIA London arbitration proceedings for unfair prejudice; successfully resisting English Court challenges against the arbitration award under s. 67 (jurisdiction) and s.68 (serious irregularity) of the 1996 Arbitration Act; and defeating a related claim in the English High Court claiming an interest in the JV and a share of assets
News and client work
- High Court upholds stay of winding-up petition where debt was subject to arbitration agreement
1 October 2020
- Clarity over English court's jurisdiction to grant anti-arbitration injunction against foreign-seated arbitrations
26 September 2019
- High Court considers summary dismissal of serious irregularity challenges to arbitral awards
31 January 2019
- “’Other costs' in international arbitration: A review of the recoverability of internal and third-party funding costs” in Defining Issues in International Arbitration OUP 2016
- ‘The Limits to the Parties’ Free Choice of Jurisdiction’ Dossier XII of the ICC Institute of World Business Law (2015)
- 'Privy Council confirms pro-enforcement approach under New York Convention' (2014) 32 ASA Bulletin, Issue 4, pp. 869–882
- "Jivraj v Hashwani – Faith in English arbitration is restored" in Les Cahiers de l’Arbitrage 2011-4
- UK Contributor for the International Law Office arbitration newsletters
- Author of several practice notes for Lexis®PSL Dispute Resolution
- Marie is on the Editorial Board of the International Arbitration Law Review and Kluwer’s Journal of International Arbitration
- Clifford Chance, London
- +44 207006 2435
- Email me
- Follow me on LinkedIn
- Speaks English and French
- Practice area Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management
- Sector Banks, Energy & resources
Career and qualifications
- Université de Paris I La Sorbonne (Maîtrise en Droit Privé) 1998
- King's College London (LLB) 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Partner since 2012
- LCIA Court Member
- Vice President of the LCIA European Users' Council
- City of London Law Society (CLLS) Arbitration Committee
- International Arbitration Institute
- Arbitral Women
- Former member of ICC UK Nominations Sub-Committee
Awards and citations
- Marie Berard offers substantial expertise in commercial disputes. She has an impressive track record acting for clients across the financial services and telecoms sectors in LCIA arbitrations.
"She’s an outstanding team leader and someone you want on your side."
"Marie is very experienced and clients love her."
Chambers and Partners UK 2023 - International Arbitration: Commercial Arbitration
- "Marie Berard is distinguished as “a superstar” and “a strong leader” renowned for her “great depth of experience” in international proceedings".
Who’s Who Legal Arbitration 2022
- Marie Berard offers substantial expertise in commercial disputes. She has an impressive track record acting for Russian clients across the financial services and telecoms sectors in LCIA arbitrations.
"She's very impressive and very good with clients." "She's an excellent lawyer. She is very commercial and very smart." "She's very calm under pressure."
Chambers & Partners 2021 International Arbitration - UK-wide
- "Marie will make extremely well thought out and logical decisions. She is a leader, a fantastic decision maker and calm under severe pressure."
Chambers & Partners UK 2021
- "Marie Berard is super cool-headed and incredibly efficient. She regularly handles commercial arbitrations on behalf of energy and construction companies, among others".
International Arbitration: UK-wide: Commercial Arbitration: Chambers UK 2020
- "Marie Berard is an incredibly bright and very intellectual practitioner who stands out for her calm approach to complex international commercial arbitration disputes".
Who's Who Legal Arbitration 2019
- “Market sources are impressed with her client-handling skills and her ‘ability to absorb vast amounts of detail while not losing sight of the key issues in a case.’ ”
International Arbitration: UK-wide: Commercial Arbitration: Chambers UK 2018
- “Marie Berard ‘comes warmly recommended’ from clients, who praise her as ‘fantastic – she works very hard, does excellent work and has a calm approach.’ ”
Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders - Arbitration 2017