Marie Berard is a Partner within the International Commercial Arbitration Group.
With over 18 years' experience, Marie acts as counsel for multinational corporations on a wide range of international arbitration proceedings pursuant to the major institutional rules (including LCIA, ICC) and ad-hoc arbitrations under UNCITRAL Rules.
Marie's work spans many economic sectors, with particular emphasis on the energy, oil & gas, construction and finance sectors.
Marie also sits as a sole arbitrator, panel member and chair. In May 2021, she was appointed a member of the LCIA Court for a term of 5 years. She is also the Vice President of the LCIA European Users' Council and a member of the ICC UK Arbitration and ADR Committee, and ICC UK Selection Subcommittee.
Marie has been recommended by Who’s Who Legal Arbitration in its 2021 publication and featured in the 2019 Legal 500 International Arbitration Powerlist UK.
Marie regularly speaks on international arbitration at conferences and delivers guest lectures at Universities.
- Representing a consortium of French, Moroccan and Japanese power companies in a London ICC arbitration against a multinational conglomerate relating to a coalfired power plant EPC construction project in Morocco
- Representing an international engineering and construction company in a Zurich ICC arbitration against a subcontractor in connection with a power process plant in Saudi Arabia
- Representing one of the world's largest global banking groups in a London LCIA arbitration (and parallel proceedings in Moscow and anti-suit proceedings in London) in connection with a guarantee against a Russian company
- Representing a high net worth individual in a shareholder dispute with a Russian oligarch concerning a joint venture holding valuable real estate in Moscow in hard-fought LCIA London arbitration proceedings for unfair prejudice; successfully resisting English Court challenges against the arbitration award under s. 67 (jurisdiction) and s.68 (serious irregularity) of the 1996 Arbitration Act; and defeating a related claim in the English High Court claiming an interest in the JV and a share of assets
News and client work
- High Court upholds stay of winding-up petition where debt was subject to arbitration agreement
1 October 2020
- Clarity over English court's jurisdiction to grant anti-arbitration injunction against foreign-seated arbitrations
26 September 2019
- High Court considers summary dismissal of serious irregularity challenges to arbitral awards
31 January 2019
- “’Other costs' in international arbitration: A review of the recoverability of internal and third-party funding costs” in Defining Issues in International Arbitration OUP 2016
- ‘The Limits to the Parties’ Free Choice of Jurisdiction’ Dossier XII of the ICC Institute of World Business Law (2015)
- 'Privy Council confirms pro-enforcement approach under New York Convention' (2014) 32 ASA Bulletin, Issue 4, pp. 869–882
- "Jivraj v Hashwani – Faith in English arbitration is restored" in Les Cahiers de l’Arbitrage 2011-4
- UK Contributor for the International Law Office arbitration newsletters
- Author of several practice notes for Lexis®PSL Dispute Resolution
- Marie is on the Editorial Board of the International Arbitration Law Review and Kluwer’s Journal of International Arbitration
Career and qualifications
- Université de Paris I La Sorbonne (Maîtrise en Droit Privé) 1998
- King's College London (LLB) 1998
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance 2000
- Partner since 2012
- Member of LCIA
- Vice President of the LCIA European Users' Council
- ICC UK Arbitration & ADR Committee
- ICC UK Nominations Sub-Committee
- International Arbitration Institute
- Arbitral Women
Awards and citations
- "Marie will make extremely well thought out and logical decisions. She is a leader, a fantastic decision maker and calm under severe pressure."
Chambers & Partners UK 2021
- "Marie Berard is super cool-headed and incredibly efficient. She regularly handles commercial arbitrations on behalf of energy and construction companies, among others".
International Arbitration: UK-wide: Commercial Arbitration: Chambers UK 2020
- "Marie Berard is an incredibly bright and very intellectual practitioner who stands out for her calm approach to complex international commercial arbitration disputes".
Who's Who Legal Arbitration 2019
- “Market sources are impressed with her client-handling skills and her ‘ability to absorb vast amounts of detail while not losing sight of the key issues in a case.’ ”
International Arbitration: UK-wide: Commercial Arbitration: Chambers UK 2018
- “Marie Berard ‘comes warmly recommended’ from clients, who praise her as ‘fantastic – she works very hard, does excellent work and has a calm approach.’ ”
Who’s Who Legal: Future Leaders - Arbitration 2017