Iain White is a versatile lawyer with broad experience of domestic and cross border restructurings and formal insolvencies.
Iain acts both on the creditor-side (for banks, funds and other lending institutions) and on the debtor-side (for borrowers, issuers and private equity sponsors) as well as advising insolvency officeholders. In recent years Iain has advised clients across a number of different jurisdictions and sectors, including commodities, energy, media, manufacturing, data services and real estate.
- Advising the coordinating committee of creditors to NMC Healthcare on its ground breaking 7bn financial restructuring in ADGM
- Advising Codere, the Spanish headquartered gaming and casino business, in connection with its various financial restructurings (including through a novel scheme of arrangement)
- Advising ED&F Man, the global commodities trading business, on its 2020 refinancing via scheme of arrangement
- Advising certain lenders to Noble Group, the HK based commodities trading business, in connection with the restructuring of its $3.5bn balance sheet
- Advising an ad hoc committee of noteholders and new money lenders to the Abengoa group on the global restructuring of the group's c. EUR€14 billion of financial indebtedness (using an English CVA, US Chapter 11 and Spanish homologation)
- Advising Cory Environmental, the UK waste management company, in relation to its financial restructuring and pre-pack sale of its business to lenders
- Advising the board of directors of New World Resources, the Czech mining company, in relation to the group's restructuring and recapitalisation
- Advising a co-ordinating committee of lenders to Rusal, the Russian aluminium producer, in connection with its refinancing
- Advising the senior lenders in relation to a consensual financial restructuring of the Irish based Independent News and Media
- Advising Southern Cross, formerly the UK's largest operator of elderly care homes, on the restructuring and transfer of its business and the settlement of its residual liabilities through a CVA
- Advising the lenders to the Quinn Group, an Irish based insurance and building products conglomerate on its financial restructuring
- Advising EurotaxGlass, a leading pan-European provider of data services to the motor industry, in connection with a financial restructuring and pre-pack sale of its business to lenders
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, London
- +44 207006 2825
- Email me
- Practice area Global Financial Markets, Restructuring & insolvency
- Sector Real estate, Private equity
Career and qualifications
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge (MA, Law) 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2001
- Secondment to Barclays (Credit Restructuring Group) 2005
- Partner since 2009
- Member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association and R3
Awards and citations
- "He impresses clients on deals, one saying that he is "strong" and "managed to keep everyone motivated and updated."
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency
- Iain White is recognised in Chambers UK 2015 as "one of the rising stars of his generation," and as a "very smart" practitioner who is particularly attuned to the realities of the market.
- Iain White appeared in the Financial News '40 under 40' which recognises the Rising Stars in the European legal profession aged under 40.
- Iain White co-led on the restructuring of Southern Cross, for which Clifford Chance were awarded Legal Business Restructuring Team of the Year, 2012 and is recognised in Legal 500 as "intelligent, hard-working and commercial".