Iain White is a versatile lawyer with broad experience of domestic and cross border restructurings and formal insolvencies.
Iain acts both on the creditor-side (for banks, funds and other lending institutions) and on the debtor-side (for borrowers, issuers and private equity sponsors) as well as advising insolvency officeholders. In recent years Iain has advised clients across a number of different jurisdictions and sectors, including commodities, energy, media, manufacturing, data services and real estate.
- Advising an ad hoc committee of noteholders and new money lenders to the Abengoa group on the global restructuring of the group's c. EUR€14 billion of financial indebtedness (using an English CVA, US Chapter 11 and Spanish homologation)
- Advising Cory Environmental, the UK waste management company, in relation to its financial restructuring and pre-pack sale of its business to lenders
- Advising Codere, the Spanish headquartered gaming and casino business, in connection with its financial restructuring (implemented using a novel scheme of arrangement)
- Advising the board of directors of Afren, the UK listed oil exploration company, in connection with the group's restructuring
- Advising the board of directors of New World Resources, the Czech mining company, in relation to the group's successful restructuring and recapitalisation
- Advising a co-ordinating committee of lenders to Rusal, the Russian aluminium producer, in connection with its refinancing
- Advising the senior lenders in relation to a consensual financial restructuring of the Irish based Independent News and Media
- Advising Southern Cross, formerly the UK's largest operator of elderly care homes, on the restructuring and transfer of its business and the settlement of its residual liabilities through a CVA
- Advising EurotaxGlass, a leading pan-European provider of data services to the motor industry, in connection with a financial restructuring and pre-pack sale of its business to lenders
Clifford Chance advises Imagination Technologies on its agreement with Apple
6 January 2020
Clifford Chance a conseillé l'administrateur judiciaire dans le cadre de la cession de British Steel
14 November 2019
Clifford Chance advises Official Receiver on sale of British Steel
11 November 2019
Financial difficulties triggered by the impact of Coronavirus: Issues for stakeholders
27 February 2020
EU directive on restructuring frameworks: The same, but different?
26 June 2019
Death on the high street? The impact of CVAs
9 May 2019
Restructuring Solutions in Europe - Promoting and Embracing Change
5 April 2019
UK corporate insolvency reforms: looking beyond Brexit
8 October 2018
Career and qualifications
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge (MA, Law) 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2001
- Secondment to Barclays (Credit Restructuring Group) 2005
- Partner since 2009
- Member of the Insolvency Lawyers Association and R3
Awards and citations
- "He impresses clients on deals, one saying that he is "strong" and "managed to keep everyone motivated and updated."
Chambers UK 2017 – Restructuring and Insolvency
- Iain White is recognised in Chambers UK 2015 as "one of the rising stars of his generation," and as a "very smart" practitioner who is particularly attuned to the realities of the market.
- Iain White appeared in the Financial News '40 under 40' which recognises the Rising Stars in the European legal profession aged under 40.
- Iain White co-led on the restructuring of Southern Cross, for which Clifford Chance were awarded Legal Business Restructuring Team of the Year, 2012 and is recognised in Legal 500 as "intelligent, hard-working and commercial".