Helen Carty is the Head of the London Litigation and Dispute Resolution team.
Helen has significant experience of dealing with multi-jurisdictional matters. She is regularly called upon by major banks and financial institutions to act on their largest disputes. Helen's matters include defending mis-selling claims, acting for clients in relation to disputes arising under swaps and other industry standard documentation and co-ordinating and managing litigation for clients in a variety of overseas jurisdictions.
- Inmarsat on its acquisition by Triton Bidco for £2.6 billion
- Acting for a European bank in claims brought by a social housing association in relation to derivatives transactions
- Assisting a US client in litigation in multiple jurisdictions relating to structured products
- Acting against Lehman Brothers Financing in several disputes relating to the calculation of sums due on close out of derivatives transactions as a result of Lehmans' collapse
Career and qualifications
- Worcester College, Oxford (BA) 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance 1995
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Solicitor Advocate 2003
- Partner since 2011
Awards and citations
- "Co-head of the London banking litigation practice Helen Carty is highly regarded for her work defending major banks, as well as for her ability to co-ordinate large-scale multi-jurisdictional litigation. Clients admire her, saying: "She provides incisive, thoughtful, far-sighted, analytical input" and combines this "with a great willingness to adapt her ways of working to suit the client.""
Chambers UK 2019
- “Helen Carty earns impressive praise for her “exceptionally sound judgement” and “effective style” in banking litigation, with clients characterising her as “a pleasure to work with.” She regularly defends a range of banks and financial institutions in disputes work, including cross-border and multi-jurisdictional matters.”
Chambers UK 2018
- “Helen Carty is ‘an excellent lawyer’”.
The Legal 500 2017
- “The “fabulous” Helen Carty receives high praise for her intellect and ability to effortlessly “handle so many things so well at the same time.” She has been particularly active of late on matters involving complex jurisdictional issues.”
Chambers UK 2016
- “Helen Carty specialises in advising financial institutions in contentious regulatory proceedings brought by both national and foreign authorities. Peers are impressed by her and hold her in high esteem.”
Chambers UK 2015