Helen Carty is the Head of the London Litigation and Dispute Resolution team.
Helen has significant experience of dealing with multi-jurisdictional matters. She is regularly called upon by major banks and financial institutions to act on their largest disputes. Helen's matters include defending mis-selling claims, acting for clients in relation to disputes arising under swaps and other industry standard documentation and co-ordinating and managing litigation for clients in a variety of overseas jurisdictions.
- Inmarsat on its acquisition by Triton Bidco for £2.6 billion
- Acting for a European bank in claims brought by a social housing association in relation to derivatives transactions
- Assisting a US client in litigation in multiple jurisdictions relating to structured products
- Acting against Lehman Brothers Financing in several disputes relating to the calculation of sums due on close out of derivatives transactions as a result of Lehmans' collapse
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Worcester College, Oxford (BA) 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance 1995
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1997
- Solicitor Advocate 2003
- Partner since 2011
Awards and citations
- "Co-head of the London banking litigation practice Helen Carty is highly regarded for her work defending major banks, as well as for her ability to co-ordinate large-scale multi-jurisdictional litigation. Clients admire her, saying: "She provides incisive, thoughtful, far-sighted, analytical input" and combines this "with a great willingness to adapt her ways of working to suit the client.""
Chambers UK 2019
- "Helen Carty earns impressive praise for her "exceptionally sound judgement" and "effective style" in banking litigation, with clients characterising her as "a pleasure to work with." She regularly defends a range of banks and financial institutions in disputes work, including cross-border and multi-jurisdictional matters.”
Chambers UK 2018