Alexandre Couturier has over 10 years of experience in real estate advising on asset and share property acquisitions and disposals, sale and leaseback schemes, and restructuring of commercial and industrial groups involving real estate assets.
Alexandre has particular expertise in the formation of real estate investment funds including French REITs (OPCI), joint ventures and private equity funds. He also routinely advises in property financing and leasing matters, as well as in real estate development transactions.
- Advised Union Investment on the disposal of the "Aqua" paneuropean property portfolio for over EUR€1 billion
- Advised Patrizia AG on the acquisition and financing of the "Bastide" residential portfolio from CBRE Global Investors
- Advised Algonquin Hotels on the financing of the "Groupe Saint-André" French hotel portfolio acquisition
Clifford Chance advises HSBC REIM on the acquisition of the Native building in Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines
14 May 2019
Clifford Chance advises La Française on the formation of an investment vehicle dedicated to Grand Paris development projects
20 February 2019
Clifford Chance advises PGGM on the first closing of the Fonds de Logement Intermédiaire 2 (FLI 2)
22 January 2019
Clifford Chance advises Primonial on €1.6 bn investment in German real estate portfolio of Medical Properties Trust
3 July 2018
Clifford Chance advises BNP Paribas REIM on the financing of the building located on 49-51 rue La Boétie in Paris
19 June 2018
Career and qualifications
- Institut d’Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po) 1997
- Paris 10 Nanterre University (Maîtrise in Business Law and Taxation) 2000
- Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales (HEC) 2001
- Joined Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP 2005
- Joined King & Spalding LLP as a counsel 2012
- Partner King & Spalding LLP 2014
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2015
- Member of the Paris Bar
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance stands out for handling large investment transactions, including pan-European portfolio deals, in the office, retail and logistics sectors. The 12-lawyer team advises several prominent French and international investors and recently gained a number of blue-chip names as clients In recent work, the group advised on office building and office tower investments and property financing. Highlights included assisting Partners Group with the acquisition of the CB16 office tower in La Défense, as well as Ivanhoe Cambridge as borrower with the financing of the construction of the Duo office towers in Paris. The team also advised RFR Holding on the acquisition of a property located on la Croisette in Cannes, and assisted tenants with leasing negotiations pertaining to office spaces. AEW Ciloger, Blackstone Real Estate and Gecina are also clients. Practice head François Bonteil is an expert in the field and Alexandre Couturier is another key name. Counsel Anne-Sophie Plé is also noted."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Real Estate, 2019
- The "excellent" Alexandre Couturier acts on a broad range of real estate matters, including acquisitions, disposals, leasing and acquisition financing. Couturier advised Union Investment Real Estate on the acquisition of the Euro Alsace office property.
Chambers Europe, France, Real Estate, 2019
- "The very strong Clifford Chance is second to none for advising leading French, Anglophone and more recently Asian investors on high-end office, retail and logistics building and portfolio transactions and further stands out for its ability to coordinate large-scale pan-European transactions. The 12-lawyer team has an impressive track record and was recently involved in many high-profile transactions: it assisted AEW Europe with the share-deal acquisition of 102 Avenue des Champs-Elysées, as well as Icade with its tender offer for Eurazeo's majority stake in ANF Immobilier and resale of a Marseille-based property portfolio. LaSalle Investment Management, Prologis, PGGM, Union Investment Real Estate and AXA Investment Managers are other notable clients. François Bonteil is one of the market’s most sought after advisers, while Alexandre Couturier is following in his footpath."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Real Estate, 2018
- "Alexandre Couturier is a "promising" and "excellent real estate lawyer," according to interviewees. Clients also praise him for being a "great deal maker." He advises European and international investment funds and asset managers on complex real estate transactions."
Chambers Europe, France, Real Estate, 2018
- "The ‘quick, efficient and practical’ Clifford Chance ‘outperforms others on a consistent basis’. The 12-lawyer team ‘functions as a business partner, bringing in all necessary expertise and making sure everything is taken care of’. The firm advises leading French and international investors on headline investments in the office, logistics and hotel sectors., including many portfolio acquisitions. Recent highlights include assisting Logistis investment fund with the €200m acquisition of the Corridor portfolio and advising Westbrook Partners on the sale of a trophy building located on Avenue des Champs Elysées. Practice head François Bonteil ranks among the best in his field. Alexandre Couturier and the counsels Anne-Sophie Plé and Karen Bortolotti are also recommended."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Real Estate, 2017
- Alexandre Couturier is praised by clients for his "strong negotiation skills and for his business and solution-oriented approach, essential during transactions." He focuses on complex real estate transactions such as financing and restructurings, acquisitions and leaseback transaction.
Chambers Europe, France, Real Estate, 2017
- Recent arrival and up-and-coming lawyer Alexandre Couturier is highly rated for his "reliability and efficiency." He is knowledgeable of leasing details, property development and real estate funds, with recent work involving acquisitions and portfolio refinancing
Chambers Europe, France, Real Estate, 2016
- "Clifford Chance handles high-end investment and pan-European portfolio acquisitions and leasing work, having built an impressive client base of leading French and international players. It assisted AEW Europe with the €1.3bn financing and acquisition of the Celsius shopping centre portfolio and advised DTZ Investors on purchasing assets located in Paris’ Triangle d’Or. The practice is supported by strong complementary tax and finance expertise. It advised Qatar Holding and Harrods Estate with the negotiation of a retail lease of Virgin’s former Champs-Elysées premises. Practice head François Bonteil is highly regarded. The firm hired ‘the professional and business-oriented’ Alexandre Couturier from King & Spalding LLP to reinforce the practice. Counsels Anne-Sophie Plé and Karen Bortolotti are also key figures".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Real Estate, 2016
- Listed in the Legal 500 Real Estate France 2015