Miquel Montañá specialises in dispute resolution (including arbitration), intellectual property and competition law.
Miquel has worked on multi-jurisdictional intellectual property and commercial disputes involving patents, trademarks, unfair competition, distribution and agency agreements, copyright and breach of confidential information.
- Advising and representing a major manufacturer of smoking paper in the contractual matters arising from the distribution network and in all its trademark and unfair competition matters in Spain
- Representing one of the largest food and beverages company in patent, trademark and unfair competition proceedings with regard to the selling of coffee capsules
- Representing one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies in patent infringement proceedings against all the companies that launched generics of Viagra
- Representing a multinational electronics and information technology company in an action for declaration of non-infringement filed by its main competitor in relation to a tablet design
- Representing an American global cigarette and tobacco company in an over EUR€8 million claim for damages
News and client work
- Miquel has published two books and more than one hundred articles worldwide on his areas of expertise, in legal journals such as "The Journal of World Intellectual Property", "The Journal of World Trade", "The American Journal of International Law", and "The German Yearbook of International Law”.
- Clifford Chance, Barcelona
- +34 93 344 2223
- Email me
- Speaks Spanish, Catalan, French and English
- Practice area Intellectual property, Litigation, dispute resolution & risk management, Antitrust, EU & trade
- Sector Healthcare, life sciences & chemicals, Telecommunications, media & technology
Career and qualifications
- University of Barcelona (LLB) 1989
- Lecturer on European Law at several universities since 1990
- Masters Degree in European Community Law from the Autonomous University of Barcelona 1991
- Harvard University (LLM) 1992
- Admitted as an abogado in Madrid 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance 1993
- University of Barcelona (LLD) 1995
- Partner since 2000
- Lecturer of International Law at ESADE - Universitat Ramón Llull 2014
- Member of the Editorial Board of Comunicaciones en Propiedad Industrial y Derecho de la Competencia” (Communications in IP and Competition Law), “Cuadernos de Derecho Farmacéutico” (Pharmaceutical Law Journal) and “Revista Española de Economía de la Salud - ReES" (Spanish Health Economics Journal).
- Currently the editor of “Patent World” and “Kluwer Patent Blog” for Spain
Awards and citations
- Star Individual
Miquel Montañá is "one of Europe's best patent litigators." He acts for leading innovator pharmaceuticals companies on patent infringement actions. "He is really creative, is good on the case law and knows the industry really well" […] Interviewees highlight his profound technical expertise and say that "no matter what work you give him, he will do it brilliantly."
Chambers Europe 2022: Spain – Life Sciences: Patent Litigation
- Leading Individual
Legal 500 EMEA 2022: Spain – Healthcare and Life Sciences
- Global Leader
Miquel Montañá is “an impressive lawyer” much in demand as “counsel of choice for innovator clients in Spain”.Who's Who Legal 2022: Life Sciences – Patent Litigation
- Star Individual
"The 'exceptional' Miquel Montañá is highly recommended for his litigation skills, with one source saying: 'He has an incredibly sharp mind, is very experienced, and a great fighter for his client's interests in court. You could not wish for a better lawyer.'"
Chambers Europe 2020: Spain – Life Sciences: Patent Litigation
- Leading Individual
Legal 500 EMEA: Spain – Healthcare and Life Sciences
- "He is one of the only "ten star individuals"."
- "Miquel Montañá is the best pharma patent litigator in Spain. He always finds the best solution."
- "An absolute star ", Miquel Montañá is "a wonderful lawyer who has achieved many important results in court."