José Luis Zamarro specialises in Spanish regulated sectors. This comprises infrastructure, railway, airport, utilities, PPP, concessions, privatizations, energy, renewable energy, public subsidies and EU funds granting and reimbursement procedures, and also on public sector finance, with debt issues by the Kingdom of Spain, the Spanish regions and public bodies, as well as administrative sanctions in regulated sectors, including anti-money laundering regulations and other financial sector regulations.
José Luis acts for bidders, lenders, public administrations and competing entities. José Luis also engages in all public law litigation related to the previous.
- Advised EIB in connection with Project Castor (EUR€1.4 billion) gas storage seismic activity and Spanish State actions.
- Advised Telefónica in lititagion against the Spanish State in a:
- EUR€5 million EU funds reimbursement claim
- EUR€46 million competence sanction
- Advised Banco Santander in connection with its EUR€800 million financing of Adif (Spanish railway net operator)
- Advised BBVA in connection with EUR€3 million sanctions imposed by the regulators due to breach of financial regulations
Clifford Chance advises three financers on the start-up of ten new wind farms in Aragón with Mirova, Engie and Forestalia as investors, for a total of 350 million euros
8 April 2019
Clifford Chance acted as buy-side advisor on the acquisition of a portfolio of infrastructure assets from Ardian
19 December 2017
Career and qualifications
- University of Murcia (LLB) 1998
- Admitted as an Abogado in Madrid 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance Madrid 2002
- Partner since 2013