Jaime Velázquez specialises in M&A and corporate governance, mainly focused in regulated sectors such as financial, infrastructure, telecoms or energy sectors.
Jaime has been the Legal Counsel for the Spanish Inland Revenue in Cataluña, Secretary of the Board of Directors and Legal Counsel for the State-owned Bank (ICO), Board member of a private equity house (Axis S.GE.C.R., S.A.) and General Secretary and Secretary of the Board of the Telecommunications Market Commission.
Jaime leads the Clifford Chance Industrial and Financial Institutions groups in Spain.
- Abanca, Bankia and CaixaBank on the sale, together with the French mutual insurance company Covéa and other minority shareholders, of a controlling interest in Caser. This is the Spanish insurance industry's largest transaction to date.
- GFI on the acquisition of 100% of Informática El Corte Inglés, S.A. from El Corte Inglés to create a great European technology leader with a broad international presence.
- Crédit Agricole on the combination of its asset management and securities deposit and custody business with that of Banco Santander.
- Mirova Eurofideme 3 (renewable energy fund advised by Mirova) on the acquisition from Forestalia of a 51% stake in nine subsidy-free wind farms totalling 300MW in Spain known collectively as the Goya project, awarded in Spain's first auction round in 2016.
- Spanish listed company Corporación Financiera Alba, as co-investor together with funds advised by CVC on the acquisition of a 20.072% stake in Naturgy from Repsol, for a total consideration exceeding EUR 3.8 billion.
- Gunvor Group on the acquisition of two biodiesel refinery plants located in Huelva and Álava from CIE Automotive Group.
- Mutua Madrileña on the acquisition, together with Seaya, of Movo, a Cabify's group company in the mobility sector with presence in Spain and South America.
- Forestalia on the sale to Repsol of 8 wind farms located in the Spanish autonomous community of Aragón, which together total 350 megawatts (MW) of capacity.
- Advising Masmóvil on the acquisition of Yoigo, the fourth largest mobile operator in Spain.
- Advising Banco Inversis on the acquisition of the Spanish business of Royal Bank of Canada (RBC).
- Advising Plastic Omnium on the EUR 665 million acquisition of Faurecia Automotive Exteriors
- Advising Carrefour on the acquisition of 36 hypermarkets, 8 shopping centres and 22 petrol stations from the Eroski group
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Universidad de Extremadura (Law) 1992
- State Lawyer since 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2005
- Managing Partner of the Barcelona office 2007-2011
- Managing Partner, Spain since 2013
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Financial Studies Foundation, since July 2013
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation for the Royal Academy of Jurisprudence and Legislation, since October 2014
Awards and citations
- "Best Spanish Lawyer of the year" by Expansion Awards 2017 for Business Law Practitioners
Corporate /M&A- Chambers Global 2017
- Managing partner Jaime Velazquez has notable expertise in corporate and transactional matters relating to the TMT, financial services and infrastructure sectors. Clients say that he is "an excellent professional with deep legal knowledge and a business perspective."