Fernando Irurzun is the Head of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Department in Spain.
Fernado is a State Attorney currently on leave of absence. As State Attorney Fernando has been Deputy Director-General for Litigation Affairs (Solicitor General's Office-Directorate of the State Legal Service), Agent of the Kingdom of Spain before the European Court of Human Rights, and State Attorney before different Spanish Courts.
He has been also Counsellor in the Spanish Permanent Representation before the European Union; and Seconded National Expert in the Legal Service of the European Banking Authority.
Fernando has more than 25 years of experience acting before the Courts of all jurisdictions and instances.
Fernando specialises in Commercial Litigation, Administrative Law, Data Protection and International Public Law.
- Legal advice and representation provided to a multinational in the telecommunications sector relating to a claim filed by a competitor for damages deriving from alleged anticompetitive practices (margin squeeze).
- Legal advice and representation provided to a listed company which operates the gas system in Spain in a case against the State Administration relating to the payment of the maintenance and management costs of an underground gas storage facility.
- Representing six companies in arbitration proceedings related to internal disputes in a consortium for the execution of the Haramain High Speed Railway Line Project between Mecca and Medina.
- Pre-litigious advice provided to an international aeronautical group in connection with the termination of a contract signed with the European agency responsible for the development of fusion for energy for the supply of industrial parts.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (BA Law) 1988
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid (PhD Law) 2000
- State Attorney since 1992
- State Attorney before the High Court of Madrid 1992
- State Attorney coordinator on Administrative Law in the Directorate for Litigation 1996
- Counsellor for Judicial Affairs in the Spanish Permanent Representation to the European Union 2001
- State Attorney before the Spanish Supreme Court 2006
- Head State Attorney before the National Court 2007
- Agent of the Kingdom of Spain before the European Court of Human Rights 2010
- Deputy Director-General for Litigation Affairs, Solicitor General's Office-Directorate of the State Legal Service (01/05/2012-31/08/2016)
- Legal Expert-Seconded National Expert before the European Banking Authority 2016
- Joined Clifford Chance 2018 as Counsel
- Partner since 2020
- Honorary and former permanent member of the General Committee for the Codification of Law (Public Law Section).
- Member of the Madrid Bar Association since 2000