Spencer has 20 years of experience advising developers, principals, project sponsors and contractors on dispute management and resolution arising from projects in the natural resources, oil and gas, and infrastructure development sectors.
He has helped mediate, arbitrate and litigate disputes across the globe, and most recently has acted for participants in most of the hard rock mineral and LNG projects in Western Australia and the Northern territory. While Spencer's practice is primarily dispute focused, he also undertakes front end work and contract negotiation on major construction projects.
- Acted for EPCM contractor in an ICC arbitration arising from the Gorgon Project.
- Acted for INPEX in Federal Court proceedings arising from the Ichthys Project.
- Acted for CPB Contractors in Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings in relation to the quarrying of materials for the Wheatstone Project.
- Acted for DDG against Monadelphous in Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings arising from the construction of an extension to the Dampier to Bunbury Natural Gas Pipeline.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Murdoch University (BA) 1998
- The University of Western Australia (LLB) 1999
- Partner at Corrs 2010 – 2022
- Partner at Clifford Chance since 2022
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Society of Construction Law (WA) Member
Awards and citations
- Leading practitioner in the Best Lawyers Guide in the areas of Infrastructure/Construction, Litigation and International Arbitration
- Preeminent in Doyles Guide for Construction and Infrastructure litigation
- Leading construction lawyer in Who’s Who Legal