Tom is in our global asset finance group. He specialises in the structured financing, trading and leasing of aviation, maritime and offshore oil & gas assets.
In the aviation sector, Tom has particular experience in advising financiers and lessors in all aspects of aircraft leasing, trading, repossession/enforcement and secured financing transactions.
In the maritime and offshore oil & gas sectors, Tom has advised borrowers and lenders on the financing of offshore equipment and vessels through asset and project financing structures. He has also advised owners on ship sale and purchase transactions, sale and leaseback transactions, charter contracts and vessel construction.
Tom has spent time on secondment in the Export and Agency Finance team of a major international bank.
- Advised lenders in relation to the $700 million senior secured term loan facility for the conversion of the LNG carrier Gimi into an FLNG vessel, to be operated by BP on the Greater Tortue / Ahmeyim Project located on the Mauritania and Senegal maritime border. This was the first commercially syndicated project financing of an FLNG vessel in the international bank market and won African LNG Deal of the Year for 2019 by Project Finance International and Offshore Project Finance Deal of the Year for 2019 by Marine Money
- Advised in relation to the financing and acquisition of aircraft into a warehouse facility and the transfer of those aircraft into the issuer's inaugural asset backed securitisation
- Advised lenders on the JOLCO financing of a Boeing 777 freighter for a major international logistics company
- Advised lenders on the limited recourse financing of four on-lease aircraft
- Advised lenders on several JOLCO financings of Boeing 737MAX aircraft for a major European airline, including in relation to the grounding of those aircraft
- Advised a major global aircraft lessor on the sale and lease novation of a portfolio of 8 on-lease aircraft, including the unwind of existing finance and joint venture arrangements
- Advised lenders on the sale of an FPSO following its repossession and export from Brazil
- Advised a Middle Eastern lender on the ijara financing of a Boeing 787-9 aircraft for a leading Middle Eastern aircraft lessor
News and client work
- Clifford Chance, Singapore
- Email me
- Practice area Global financial markets
- Sector Energy & resources, Transport & logistics
Career and qualifications
- University of Southampton (LLB) 2012
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2015
- Joined Clifford Chance 2018
- Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Joiners and Ceilers