Sara Schermerhorn is a former Counsel and now Senior Advisor in the Amsterdam Employment practice. She advises on the full range of employment law and related topics and is responsible for the group's know how and (client) publications. Topics that had her full attention over the past period include the remuneration aspects of the revised Shareholders Rights Directive, the proposed implementation of the EU Whistleblower Directive, the (revised) Posted Workers Directive (in relation to international secondments), and diversity related government initiatives. Sara also advises on work-related immigration matters.
- Sara was part of the team advising Darling International Inc. on the acquisition of the VION Ingredients business from Vion Holding N.V., with a focus on the employee consultation aspects of the transaction and its financing. VION Ingredients has 58 businesses and approximately 5700 employees worldwide. In this deal, the employment team dealt with the employee consultation aspect of
- Sara lead the employment team advising Staples, Inc, on the sale of its Printing Systems Division to CoBe Capital though a controlled auction process. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, The Staples Printing Systems Division has worldwide annual revenue of 225 million euro and employs nearly 500 people. It has subsidiaries in the Netherlands, Belgium, Greece, Italy and Spain. The team advised Staples on all aspects of the transaction (which with preparation time lasted over more than 12 months, including structuring, conducting a vendor due diligence, drafting and negotiating a sale and purchase agreement and advising on a pre-sale restructuring. The challenges for the process where not only the legal aspects but also the dynamics caused by the target business being non-core and its capital intense nature in a crisis in Europe (in particular Greece, Italy and Spain). The target business had also been restructured twice in the past three years which made the works council advice process a particular challenge that required significant political and diplomatic skills to complete in a successful manner.
View all news and client work featuring Sara Schermerhorn
Career and qualifications
University of Groningen (Law) 1998
- Admitted as an advocaat to the Dutch Bar 1999
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Counsel since 2010
Member of the VAAN and the VAAA, respectively the national and the Amsterdam associations for employment law specialists.
Awards and citations
- "Counsel Sara Schermerhorn goes the extra mile to deliver outstanding support."
Legal 500 2013