Hannah Ovaisi has experience in complex commercial, corporate, financial and antitrust litigation, international arbitration and contentious regulatory and compliance advice.
Hannah works on a variety of litigation disputes and regulatory investigations across a wide range of jurisdictions and industries. Her recent experience includes advising on contentious regulatory investigations brought by domestic regulators. Hannah has conducted proceedings in the English County Court, High Court, Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court.
Hannah has a real passion for pro bono work and regularly volunteers at the Royal Courts of Justice Advice Bureau and has assisted on various cases in partnership with the National Autistic Society
- R (on the application of Coll) v Secretary of State for Justice, advising the Howard League for Penal Reform as intervener (in support of the appellant’s case) in an appeal in the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court ruled in favour of the appellant.
- Antoine v Barclays & the Chief Land Registrar, advising Barclays in a dispute over the ownership of Property. The Court of Appeal upheld the High Court's decision in favour of Barclays & the Chief Land Registrar.
- Various v News Group Newspapers, defending News Group Newspapers in the High Court in relation to claims of unlawful information gathering brought by numerous high-profile individuals.
- advising a multinational investment bank on discrimination claims pursuant to the Equality Act 2010, a defamation claim, and fraudulent transaction claims.
- advising a minority shareholder of a Premier League football club in relation to a debt claim and an unfair prejudice claim.
Financial and regulatory experience
- advising a multinational investment bank in relation to investigations by various worldwide regulators and authorities into the wholesale FX market (alleged manipulation of currency benchmarks and exchange rates).
- advising a multinational investment bank in relation to an investigation by the FCA and PRA into the historical practice surrounding the pricing of international payments for FX transactions.
- advising a leading UK financial institution in relation to an investigation by the FCA into AML, sanctions systems and controls, client money issues and systems and controls issues around governance.
- advising three clients (a firm and two individuals) responding to an investigation conducted by the SFO at the request of an overseas criminal authority under mutual legal assistance.
- advising a major retail and commercial bank in its response to a s.166 skilled person investigation into financial crime failings.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Sussex (Law LLB (2:1)) 2010
- University of Sussex (International Commercial Law LLM (1:1)) 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance 2012
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2016
- Seconded to Barclays Bank 2018
- London Solicitors Litigation Association (LSLA)
- Junior Solicitors Litigation Association (JSLA)
- Royal Courts of Justice Advice Bureau
- Member of National Autistic Society