Benjamin Barrat specialises in international arbitration and public international law.
Benjamin has broad experience in conducting international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations under the ICC, ICSID, LCIA and SIAC rules. He also has experience in the enforcement of and challenges to arbitral awards. Benjamin regularly advises on the structuring of investments.
- Advising a syndicate of banks in a series of LCIA arbitrations and challenges brought to arbitral awards under s67/68 of the Arbitration Act 1996
- Advising an IOC joint venture company in two ICC arbitrations related to the construction of a wind farm
- Advising a Kuwaiti company in a BIT / ICSID arbitration against Egypt concerning government-imposed gas prices and removal of free zone tax status
- Advising a Nigerian energy company in English court proceedings seeking to enforce an arbitral award against a Nigerian State entity
Career and qualifications
- University of Cambridge (MA) 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2011
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2013
- Solicitor Advocate 2015
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- Young ICCA
- Young ICSID