Juan Cuerva specialises in intellectual property and consumer law, particularly in the field of copyright, technology, IT, software and media.
He has in-depth expertise in tech M&A projects and also represents clients in complex intellectual property and commercial litigation.
Juan combines legal practice with academic activity in various universities and legal institutes. He routinely publishes on copyright and tech matters.
- Inversis on its strategic agreement with Accenture to improve its tech capabilities and implement an internationalisation plan.
- GFI (currently INETUM), on the acquisition of Informática El Corte Inglés.
- DWF on the acquisition of Spanish law firm RCD.
- Banco Santander on the launch of new applications and web services that provide financial and market information to clients.
- Crédit Agricole on the IT/intellectual property implications of the merger of its custody services with Banco Santander.
- Lakestar on a funding round for well-known online food delivery company "Glovo", a leading online food enterprise operating in southern Europe, Central America and Latin America, whose business is based on an app and an online platform.
- Banco Santander on the production of several films and television series.
- Abanca, after the segregation of part of its business to Evo, on the transfer and duplication of all shared computer systems necessary for Evo to continue operating.
- Autodesk on the acquisition of a Spanish company that owned very complex software used in digital animation and 3D films such as Avatar, Iron Man and Star Wars.
- A world-leading electronics company on the launch of new mobile apps and internet of things (IoT), augmented reality (AR) and blockchain projects.
- A leading tech company on various consumer issues, such as the revision of terms of service, consent clauses and online sales.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Barcelona (Bachelor's Degree in Law) 2005
- Admitted to practise law in Spain 2005
- Joined Clifford Chance 2005
- University of Barcelona (Postgraduate Diploma in Civil Law) 2006
- University of Barcelona (Advanced Studies Diploma – PhD Programme) 2009
- Lecturer in copyright, advertisement and privacy law (Catalonian Open University) since 2009
- Lecturer in copyright (Barcelona Bar Association – Master's in IP & IT) since 2011
- Lecturer in copyright and advertisement law (ISDE) since 2016
- Lecturer in soft law, self-regulation and codes of conduct (University of Salamanca) since 2019
- Lecturer in copyright (ESADE, Master's in Entertainment Law) since 2019
- Lecturer in IP enforcement (ESADE, Master's in IP and IT Law) since 2020
- Member of the Barcelona Bar Association
- Member of ALADDA (Spanish branch of the International Literary and Artistic Association)
- Member of ENATIC (Association of Spanish ICT Law Experts)
Awards and citations
- "Next generation lawyer" in the Copyright category
Legal 500: (EMEA, Spain) 2018 and 2019
- "Rising Star" in the Copyright category
Legal 500: (EMEA, Spain) 2020