Belén is Counsel in the Antitrust Department of the Madrid office.
She has extensive experience and has participated in numerous infringement proceedings and merger control transactions at both EU and national level, with a special focus on the infrastructure, energy, industrial, distribution, telecommunications and information technology sectors.
- The Superleague before the Grand Chamber of the Court of Justice in case C-331/21 against UEFA and FIFA.
- Telefónica on its 31 billion EUR JV with Virgin Media (Liberty Global) to create the leading telecoms player in the UK.
- Telefónica, S.A. before the Supreme Court on its successful appeal against the EUR 47 million fine imposed for alleged abuse of dominance in the SMS market.
- Oracle before the CNMC, the Appellate Court and the Supreme Court in its defence against HP's complaint for abuse of a dominant position on markets related to new technologies and databases.
- Cartonajes International, S.L. (International Paper) before the CNMC in infringement proceedings for restrictive practices in the paper and cardboard markets in Spain, and on its successful appeal before the Appellate Court against the EUR 1.9 million fine imposed by the CNMC.
- Telefónica on (i) the acquisition of control over DTS (Canal+) from Prisa in 2015; and (ii) before the Appellate Court to defend the referred acquisition.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Seville (Degree in Law) 1997
- Robert Schuman University, Strasbourg, France (European Political Studies Program) 1998
- College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium (Master in European Legal Studies) 1999
- Rey Juan Carlos University, Madrid (Master in Community and Spanish Competition Law) 2000
- Ortega y Gasset University Research Institute, Madrid (Diploma in Advanced Studies (DEA) and Doctorate in European Studies) 2004
- Rejoined Clifford Chance in 2012
- Counsel since 2022
Awards and citations
- “I would highlight Belen Irissarry for the depth of her analysis, her absolute availability and the exquisite personal treatment she provides to her clients.”
Chambers Europe Guide 2022 Spain: Competition/European Law
- “Belén Irissarry is technically outstanding and a great person.”
Legal 500 2022 Spain: EU and Competition (Rising Stars)
- “Belén Irissarry assists clients with contentious competition matters, such as appeals, investigations and complaints. She also offers support at handling merger control transactions.”
Chambers Europe Guide 2021 Spain: Competition/European Law