Fabricio Longhin (He/Him)
Fabricio Longhin is co-head of the firm's Latin America group and advises developers, commercial banks, multilateral organizations, export credit agencies, infrastructure and energy funds and institutional investors in all aspects relating to the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects in Latin America and the US.
- Clifford Chance recognized as Latin Lawyer International Elite 2024 firm
Clifford Chance has been recognized by legal industry publication Latin Lawyer as one of eight International Elite 2024 firms.
29 August 2023
- Renovar, Argentina: the Argentine government in the structuring of RenovAr, along with IFC
- Perimetral Oriental, Colombia: IDB on the financing of the Perimetral Oriental toll road in Colombia, which was awarded under the 4G concession program
- Conexion Norte, Colombia: SMBC on the financing of the Conexion Norte toll road in Colombia, which was awarded under the 4G concession program
- Conexion Pacifico 2, Colombia: Itau on the financing of the Conexion Pacifico 2 toll road in Colombia, which was awarded under the 4G concession program
- Chaglla, Peru: IDB and a group of commercial banks (SocGen, BBVA, DNB, SMBC and CA-CIB) in respect of the ground-breaking financing of the US$1.2 billion Chaglla hydroelectric project in Peru
- Eurus, Mexico: a syndicate of 13 multilateral agencies, bilateral agencies, export credit agencies and commercial banks, including IFC, IDB, CAF, DEG, Proparco, Banobras, Bancomer, Nafin and Bancomext and a consortium of Mexican banks in connection with the US$375 million financing for the development of the Eurus wind farm project in Mexico, a 250 MW power plant with related transmission assets to be developed by Acciona Energía, S.A.
- Tumarin, Nicaragua: Centrales Hidrolectricas de Nicaragua (CHN), a joint venture formed by Eletrobras and Queiroz Galvao, in the development and financing of a 220MW Tumarin hydroelectric project in Nicaragua. With an estimated cost of more than US$1 billion, the Tumarin project will be the largest ever foreign investment in Nicaragua
- Fenix, Peru: Sponsor in connection with the development and financing of the US$700 million Fenix gas-fired project in Peru, which is being developed by AEI
- El Dorado, Colombia: BNP Paribas, BanColombia S.A., HSBC Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation on a refinancing of project loans in support of the ongoing expansion of the El Dorado International Airport in Bogotá, Colombia
- Polesine, Uruguay: Proparco, DEG and FMO in connection with the financing of the Polesine 50MW wind park in Uruguay
View all news and client work featuring Fabricio Longhin
Career and qualifications
Universidad de Mendoza (Abogado - JD equivalent) 1996
- Universidad Austral (Masters in Business Law) 2000
- Harvard Law School (LLM) 2002
- Joined Clifford Chance 2002
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law New York 2004; Washington DC 2011
- Partner since 2009
Awards and citations
- Notable Practitioner in the United States
- Washington DC partner Fabricio Longhin is a leading figure in Latin America project finance, frequently acting for multilateral agency lenders, DFIs and commercial lenders.
Legal 500 2022 - Latin America: International firms: Banking and finance – Tier 1
- Fabricio Longhin is at the forefront of infrastructure financings and PPPs, most notably in Colombia, Peru, Paraguay and other jurisdictions, while remaining active in renewable energy financings in Chile and elsewhere.
Legal 500 2022 - Latin America: International firms: Projects and energy – Tier 1
- Fabricio Longhin advises on agency-backed international project financings in the energy and infrastructure sectors. He has considerable expertise in Latin American jurisdictions, in particular Colombia and Argentina.
Chambers USA 2022 - Projects: Agency Financing (Nationwide) – Band 1
- An interviewee commends Fabricio Longhin as "technically excellent" and "amazing." He also receives backing from his peers, with one reporting: "He is a stalwart." Longhin routinely advises major multinational investment banks, multilateral financial institutions and commercial banks on the financing of key renewable energy and transport infrastructure projects. He possesses considerable regional expertise, benefiting from particular knowledge of the Argentine and Colombian markets.
Chambers USA 2022 - Project Finance (International Counsel) – Band 1
- Ranked in Band 1. Renowned partner Fabricio Longhin enjoys an excellent reputation amongst peers for his contributions to the field. He draws from a deep well of experience to advise multinational financiers, energy companies and sovereigns on major project finance and development transactions. He has acted on a range of important renewable energy and transport infrastructure projects throughout Latin America, with noted activity in Argentina, Chile and Colombia in particular.
Chambers Latin America 2020, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Fabricio Longhin remains a key player in the Latin American energy market and is recognised for his knowledge of the Chilean and Mexican markets in particular. He is highly regarded for his expertise in renewable energy mandates and is described as "a top-tier partner" by a market commentator.
Chambers Latin America 2020, Energy & Natural Resources – Latin America-wide
- Ranked as a Leading Individual. Washington DC partner Fabricio Longhin continues to earn multiple accolades, derived in part from his leadership in Argentina and Colombia infrastructure projects, including road PPPs in the former, along with multi-source financings in Paraguay.
Legal 500 Latin America 2019, Projects and Energy – International Firms
- Fabricio Longhin has made a significant impression on the market in recent years and is 'a very experienced practitioner across a range of products', 'maintains an outwardly cool demeanour, seems unflappable and is smart and reasonable'; he is one of a number of Argentine natives in the team that have helped the firm gain an especially strong position in financings linked to Argentina's recent RenovAr programme.
Legal 500 Latin America 2019, Banking and Finance – International Firms
- Ranked in Band 1. Distinguished practitioner Fabricio Longhin comes highly recommended by clients and peers, with one source citing: "Not only does he have an amazing breadth of experience, he is also very close to the market; he knows the players and the way things work. He's an invaluable partner for us." He employs his substantial expertise to advise top-tier clients on the development and financing of sophisticated energy and infrastructure projects.
Chambers Latin America 2019, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Fabricio Longhin is highly regarded for his ability to handle complex renewable energy projects across Latin America on behalf of major industry. Clients value his "amazing breadth of experience" as well as "straightforward advice and excellent strategic input”.
Chambers Latin America 2019, Energy & Natural Resources – Latin America-wide
- Ranked in Band 1. Clients praise the "fantastic" Fabricio Longhin for being "very approachable, smart, calm and collected. He is always looking to make the transaction happen as constructively as possible." He has considerable expertise advising on a variety of complex energy and infrastructure project financings for his impressive roster of clients. Longhin has wide-ranging regional knowledge, having assisted with multi-jurisdictional mandates throughout the continent.
Chambers Latin America 2018, Projects – Latin America-wide
- Market sources hold practice co-head Fabricio Longhin in high esteem for his long-standing expertise in the multi-jurisdictional financing of renewable energy projects, including solar and wind. He is a well-respected practitioner and stands out to clients for being "very smart, calm, collected and rational." He is routinely called upon to assist major international investment banks with energy mandates throughout the region.
Chambers Latin America 2018, Energy & Natural Resources – Latin America-wide
- Ranked as a Leading Individual. Washington DC partner Fabricio Longhin is another market leader in project finance; solely focused on Latin America he has been at the forefront of the 4G infrastructure programme in Colombia, and –as an Argentine– he is also heavily involved in the development of projects, including renewable energy projects, in that jurisdiction.
Legal 500 Latin America 2018, Projects and Energy – International Firms
- Fabricio Longhin has been ranked as Band 2 in Chambers Latin America - Energy & Natural Resources (Latin America-wide). Fabricio Longhin is praised by clients for his language skills and "great handling of very complex situations." Interviewees add: "When I think of Latin America, I think of Fabricio." He has recently worked with prominent gas and solar power developments across the region, as well as international development and commercial banks. Longhin also brings sector-related project finance expertise to the table.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Energy & Natural Resources
- Fabricio Longhin has been ranked as Band 2 in Chambers Latin America - Projects (Latin America-wide). Fabricio Longhin is described by clients as a "first-rate lawyer with phenomenal technical and interpersonal skills." His knowledge spans various jurisdictions and industries, with impressive activity across the infrastructure, oil and gas and renewable power sectors. Longhin is also valued for his ability to co-ordinate consortiums of international commercial banks. Clients highlight his Spanish-speaking skills.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Projects