Dirk-Jan Duynstee heads the Litigation Department of Clifford Chance in Amsterdam. Dirk-Jan specialises in corporate and securities litigation, including directors' liability, governance issues, public take-over disputes, shareholder disputes and squeeze out proceeding. Dirk-Jan also has vast experience in banking and finance litigation.
Dirk-Jan often acts before the Enterprise Chamber and is a member of our global risk leadership team.
- Representing various board of directors and supervisory boards in bankruptcy situations
- Acting for financial institutions in proceedings relating to the duty of care issues and bankruptcy related matters
- Assisting in the defence against a claim for in excess of EUR800 million brought by a social housing association in relation to derivatives transactions it entered into with a major global bank
- Representing various shareholders in proceedings regarding private equity investments, disputes related to exits, information rights, (the meaning of) shareholders' agreements and directors' liability
- Representing various financial institutions and hedge funds in public offer situations, governance disputed and squeeze-out proceedings
- Advising private equity firms in relation to a disputes with fellow shareholders regarding an exit
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Utrecht (Law) 2000
- VNU/AC Nielsen, management/sales functions 2003
- Admitted as an advocaat in Netherlands 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance 2003
- Spigthoff 2006
- Partner at Spigt Litigators (formerly Spigthoff) 2010
- Grotius Academy (post academic Company & Liability) 2010
- Rejoined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2012
- Dutch Association of Corporate Litigation
- Dutch Association of Securities Law
Awards and citations
- ‘Dirk Jan Duynstee is a good communicator who gets the job done.‘
Legal 500 2020
- The "super experienced" Dirk-Jan Duynstee "stays calm and fully in control, goes the extra mile."
Chambers Europe 2020
- Clients particularly value his experience handling Enterprise Chamber disputes and describe him as "technically very strong, and also a commercial and practical lawyer."
Chambers Europe 2019
- He draws praise from clients for being "very practical and good at understanding the commercial rationale" of disputes.
Chambers Europe 2018
- One client admires his "agile reactions during litigation, showing quick comprehension of the situation."
Chambers Europe 2017