Luke Tolaini advises companies and their Boards on matters of reputational significance.
Working across sectors Luke advises on crisis incidents, investigations and material disputes, often involving government authorities. He is a co-lead of Clifford Chance's global Risk team advising clients on compliance, risk prevention, crisis management, and cultural remediation.
- Advising a UK plc in defence of one of the few multi-shareholder stock-loss claims in the English courts based on alleged knowing or dishonest statements in published information arising from compliance and systems failings
- Advising Serco group on all aspects of the controversy arising from its contracts with the UK's Ministry of Justice – including securing a related deferred prosecution agreement with the UK's SFO
- Advising a UK FTSE Board in the investigation of allegations against executive board members of financial impropriety, market transgressions and failings relating to corporate culture
- Advising Pfizer in the long-running investigation of drug pricing by the UK's Competition and Markets Authority, litigating the initial decision, over-turning the CMA's case including its then largest ever single fine and then defeating the CMA's appeal in the Court of Appeal
- Advising separately two organisations in processes under the UK Cabinet Office's Corporate Renewal principles for government suppliers, examining cultural, ethical and governance remediation following compliance/regulatory failings
- Advising Pfizer in its winning appeal to the UK Supreme Court concerning the principles applicable to costs recovery against investigative authorities
- Advising InterGen in Ofgem's investigation and settlement of its precedent setting case under European regulation concerning abuse in the wholesale electricity market
- Advising a multinational listed company on ongoing development and remediation of its compliance and ethics programmes against current and emerging standards
- Advising companies subject to investigation and pre-investigation by the UK's SFO in relation to bribery and corruption both pre- and post-UK Bribery Act
- Advising a FTSE 100 company in parallel criminal and regulatory investigations by UK and international enforcement agencies relating to alleged fraud on the market
- Advising a European based global financial institution subject to criminal tax and regulatory investigations by the UK's HMRC, FCA and overseas authorities
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Exeter University (History and Politics) 1993
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1998
- Joined Clifford Chance 2001
- Partner since 2008
- Luke is a founding co-editor of The Practitioner's Guide to Global Investigations on the editorial board of the Global Investigation Review
Awards and citations
- "He is absolutely brilliant and super smart"
Chambers UK 2022
- Band 1 practitioner
Global Chambers : Crisis Management UK
- "He is a seriously good lawyer with a practical and client-friendly approach." "He is calm, pragmatic, has good judgement and an eye for the long-term strategy. His approach provides a safe harbour for clients in troubled waters."
Chambers UK 2021
- Luke Tolaini is recommended for cross-border crisis management and investigations involving financial crime.
Legal 500 UK 2019
- Sources report that "he has vast experience and he really understands the importance of a global approach," adding that "he is thorough, determined, quick and hard-working."
Also that Luke is considered "one of the most artful, articulate negotiators you will ever find."
"Luke is an unusually effective combination of serious intellect, excellent judgement and practical advice".
Chambers UK, 2019