Sébastien advises our clients on all areas of real estate law, including property acquisitions and sales, office and commercial lease contracts, town planning, construction law and environment law. He handles the real estate and environment aspects of corporate transactions for major international companies in the real estate, financial and industrial sectors. Sébastien provides legal support to major real estate developers and real estate investors operating in Luxembourg, as well as to public bodies. His practice also includes administrative law, legislation on business licences and dispute resolutions.
- Various developers on a large development project in the area of Luxembourg-City called "Ban de Gasperich", a very important real estate project for Luxembourg-City which includes the development of several plots of land, major lease agreements, town planning aspects and sale transactions. The plots of land to be developed have a total size of more than 70 hectares and include the development of a mall of more than 70,000 sqm, of high-standing apartments and office buildings.
- A foreign sovereign fund on the acquisition and the development of a large area in Luxembourg-City, a major and sensitive real estate project for Luxembourg-City, including on the structuring of the acquisition, development of the lands concerned, town planning aspects and infrastructure related works.
- A state-owned company on its various real estate development projects, including on the development of several plots of land, town planning, construction aspects and leases.
- A worldwide e-commerce company for the extension of its office spaces in Luxembourg.
View all news and client work featuring Sébastien Schmitz
Career and qualifications
Catholic University of Louvain (Law) 1996
- Admitted as an avocat in Brussels 1996
- Belgian law firms 1996
- Certificate of Lawyer’s Professional Skill, Belgium 1997
- Admitted under his professional home title in Luxembourg 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2007
- Admitted as an avocat à la Court in Luxembourg 2013
- Admitted as Senior Counsel - May 2023
Awards and citations
- "Sébastien has very strong knowledge, very good negotiation skills and advises on strategies." Chambers 2023-Real Estate Band 2
- " Sébastien Schmitz has always provided us with excellent advice. His competence, solution-orientation and perseverance are unique. We think he is certainly one of the best lawyers in his field in Luxembourg.’
Legal 500 2023- Real Estate Rising Star
- Clients enthuse that he is "always reachable, responsive, pragmatic and solution-oriented."
Chambers 2020: Real Estate
- Rising star lawyer
Legal 500 2020: Real Estate
- Up and coming lawyer
Chambers 2016 – Real Estate