David Brinton is Practice Area Leader of the Americas Corporate practice engaging in a corporate and securities law practice, focusing on mergers and acquisitions. He regularly represents sellers, purchasers and other parties in negotiated cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, joint ventures and investment transactions.
He is experienced in public and private debt and equity offerings and has advised on a variety of financing transactions. Among the sectors he focuses on are energy and infrastructure.
- Colony Capital, a leading global investment management firm, on its acquisition of Digital Bridge
- on the establishment of a Pan-Latin American renewable energy platform, Atlas Renewable Energy, and the acquisition of over 1,500 MW of solar PV assets from SunEdison in Latin America
- on the sale of a 92% stake in Energuate, Guatemala’s largest electricity network, to IC Power, a wholly-owned subsidiary of New York Stock Exchange-listed Kenon Holdings
- on the sale of Actis and Mesoamerica’s combined 100% stake in Globeleq Mesoamerica Energy
- CITIC Agri Fund on the acquisition by an affiliate of CITIC Agri Fund of a select portion of Dow AgroSciences' (a subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company) corn hybrid seed business in Brazil for approximately US$1.1 billion
- Royal Dutch Shell in its acquisition from Repsol S.A. of a portfolio of LNG assets
- Samchully Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of
- a 34% stake in Cardinal Gas Service LLC from Total E&P USA, Inc., a midstream company operating in the Utica formation, and EV Energy Partners, L.P.
- a 33 1/3% interest in the Luna Energy Facility, a net nominal 570 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facility located in Luna County, New Mexico, from Freeport-McMoRan Inc
Clifford Chance advises on refinancing and extension of Glencore's Revolving Credit Facilities
4 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises Actis on inaugural acquisition of solar plant from SunPower Corporation
12 February 2018
Clifford Chance advises CITIC Agri Fund on US$1.1 billion acquisition of Dow's corn seed business in Brazil
20 July 2017
Clifford Chance advises Actis on the establishment of Zuma Energy and on its first acquisition in Latin America
22 October 2014
Clifford Chance conseille Shell dans l'acquisition de la majeure partie de l'activité de gaz naturel liquéfié de Repsol
28 February 2013
- IBA's Mergers and Acquisitions in Latin America: Challenges and Best Practices in the Era of Compliance – Private Equity
Speaker, March 20, 2019
US Tax Reform: Who comes out ahead?
21 December 2017
IRS Limits 'Earnings Stripping' by Multinational Corporate Groups
17 October 2016
New Spin-off Rules
21 July 2016
Inversions: Tough New Rules
6 April 2016
Inversions: The Next Round
23 November 2015
Career and qualifications
- Springfield College (BS, Political Science) 1982
- The University of California, Hastings College of Law (JD) 1985
- Joined Clifford Chance 1985
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1986
- Partner since 1994
Awards and citations
- "David Brinton shows ‘great leadership and charisma’, is ‘always on top of all aspects of all the deals his team is involved in’ and is ‘a commercial and business-oriented lawyer’; noted for energy sector transactions"
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- "New York’s David Brinton is head of the firm’s US and Americas corporate practice and is ‘excellent’, ‘extremely responsive’ and has ‘in-depth M&A experience and extensive knowledge about the energy sector’; he is a ‘commercial and business-oriented lawyer’ who ‘focuses on identifying the issues that matter’ and has an ‘easy-going and approachable style’."
Chambers Latin America 2017: International Firms – Corporate/M&A