David Brinton engages in a corporate and securities law practice, focusing on mergers and acquisitions. He regularly represents sellers, purchasers and other parties in negotiated cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations, joint ventures and investment transactions.
He is experienced in public and private debt and equity offerings and has advised on a variety of financing transactions. Among the sectors he focuses on are energy and infrastructure.
- Clifford Chance recognized as Latin Lawyer International Elite 2024 firm
Clifford Chance has been recognized by legal industry publication Latin Lawyer as one of eight International Elite 2024 firms.
29 August 2023
- Colony Capital, a leading global investment management firm, on its acquisition of Digital Bridge
- on the establishment of a Pan-Latin American renewable energy platform, Atlas Renewable Energy, and the acquisition of over 1,500 MW of solar PV assets from SunEdison in Latin America
- on the sale of a 92% stake in Energuate, Guatemala’s largest electricity network, to IC Power, a wholly-owned subsidiary of New York Stock Exchange-listed Kenon Holdings
- on the sale of Actis and Mesoamerica’s combined 100% stake in Globeleq Mesoamerica Energy
- CITIC Agri Fund on the acquisition by an affiliate of CITIC Agri Fund of a select portion of Dow AgroSciences' (a subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company) corn hybrid seed business in Brazil for approximately US$1.1 billion
- Royal Dutch Shell in its acquisition from Repsol S.A. of a portfolio of LNG assets
- Samchully Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of
- a 34% stake in Cardinal Gas Service LLC from Total E&P USA, Inc., a midstream company operating in the Utica formation, and EV Energy Partners, L.P.
- a 33 1/3% interest in the Luna Energy Facility, a net nominal 570 MW natural gas-fired combined-cycle electric generation facility located in Luna County, New Mexico, from Freeport-McMoRan Inc
- Mitsubishi on the sale its stake in the Cochrane coal-fired power project located in Chile
News and client work
- Cross-border M&A: A checklist of US issues for non-US acquirors
- M&A Opportunities in uncertain times - Six Themes to look out for in US M&A in 2023
- IBA's Mergers and Acquisitions in Latin America: Challenges and Best Practices in the Era of Compliance – Private Equity
Speaker, March 20, 2019
Career and qualifications
- Springfield College (BS, Political Science) 1982
- The University of California, Hastings College of Law (JD) 1985
- Joined Clifford Chance 1985
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1986
- Partner since 1994
Awards and citations
- David Brinton heads the Americas M&A group and has a fine record in energy transactions across Latin America, including private equity-led deals.
Legal 500 2022 – Latin America: International firms: Corporate and M&A – Tier 1
- David Brinton remains a respected figure in the Latin American corporate domain, benefiting from considerable activity in this space. He regularly counsels on M&A transactions arising from the energy and infrastructure sectors.
Chambers USA 2022: Corporate/M&A (International Counsel) – Band 3
- Ranked as a Leading Individual
Legal 500 Latin America 2022, Corporate and M&A – International Firms
- "David has a lot of experience and not only helps with the legal aspects, but also gives a lot of insight on the commercial side."
Chambers Latin America 2021: Corporate/M&A (Latin America-wide)
- “David Brinton has an excellent record in energy and infrastructure transactions in Latin America, including private equity deals.”
Legal 500 Latin America 2020, Corporate and M&A – International Firms
- "David Brinton 'creates very strong bonds with clients', is 'a great strategic thinker' who 'provides clear and creative solutions to complex issues', and is 'commercial and business-oriented' with 'an easy-going and approachable style'."
Legal 500 Latin America 2019: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- "David Brinton is highlighted by commentators as 'a competent leader, as well as a charismatic, efficient and hands-on lawyer.'"
Chambers Latin America 2020: Corporate/M&A – Latin America-wide
- "David Brinton shows ‘great leadership and charisma’, is ‘always on top of all aspects of all the deals his team is involved in’ and is ‘a commercial and business-oriented lawyer’; noted for energy sector transactions"
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- "New York’s David Brinton is head of the firm’s US and Americas corporate practice and is ‘excellent’, ‘extremely responsive’ and has ‘in-depth M&A experience and extensive knowledge about the energy sector’; he is a ‘commercial and business-oriented lawyer’ who ‘focuses on identifying the issues that matter’ and has an ‘easy-going and approachable style’."
Chambers Latin America 2017: International Firms – Corporate/M&A