Daryl Liu's practice focuses on international fund mandates across private equity, real estate, infrastructure, credit and venture capital strategies.
He represents global and regional sponsors and financial investors on primary fundraisings, fund secondaries and restructurings, fund investments, co-investments and advisory mandates.
- ESR on the successful first closing of ESR Japan Income Fund, a $750m open-ended fund investing in core logistics assets in Japan.
- Pierfront Capital and Keppel Capital on the formation of a US$600 million (target) Keppel Pierfront Private Credit Fund.
- Berkeley Energy on the formation of its EUR250m (target) Africa Renewable Energy Fund II.
- Columbia Pacific Management on the formation of US$250 million fund and co-investment structure investing in healthcare assets in China.
- FUDO on the formation of the US$400 million (target) Fudo Capital IV, a pan-Asia value-add real estate fund.
- Prologis on its restructuring of China Venture Funds and rollover of assets to its new US$1.7 billion China core open-ended fund.
- CBRE Global Investors on the formation of the first US$1 billion (target) open-ended core fund investing in China.
- CapitaLand on the formation of a US$1 billion (target) pan-Asia open-ended real estate fund.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Toronto (JD) 2006 (student exchange program)
- National University of Singapore (LLB) 2007
- Admitted as an advocate and solicitor in Singapore 2008
- Joined Clifford Chance 2015
- Counsel since 2017
- Partner since 2020
- Member of the Regulatory & Tax Committee of ANREV
- Member of the Promotion of Singapore Law (Funds) sub-committee of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member of the Clifford Chance Singapore Graduate Recruitment Committee
- Member of the Singapore Legal Opinions Committee
Awards and citations
- Daryl has been recognised as an up-and-coming "Next Generation Partner" in every Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide since 2017.
- Daryl is "very helpful with a broad view of fund formation. He thinks on a holistic level and is commercial."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2022: Investment Funds: International - Singapore
- Daryl Liu is "commercial, knowledgeable of the market and we benefit from his expertise immensely," according to a client, who adds: "We like his manner a lot and really appreciate his counsel." He frequently advises on the formation of private equity funds as well as open-ended structures in real estate and energy.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: Investment Funds: International - Singapore
- ‘Kai Schneider and Daryl Liu on several transactions are highly responsive and very commercial lawyers – they bring a collaborative approach to getting deals done in a way satisfactory to all parties.’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021: Investment funds: foreign firms – Singapore
- Daryl stands out for “his subject matter expertise, responsiveness and hands-on approach” as well as for “his excellent demeanour in managing complex deals.”
Band 1: Chambers Asia Pacific 2019: Investment Funds: International - Singapore