Gerard Saviola advises institutional and boutique sponsors of private investment funds including buyout funds, real estate funds, infrastructure funds and debt funds. He has experience in advising global and local fund sponsors across Europe and in emerging markets, including Africa, Asia, Russia and Eastern Europe.
In addition, Gerard advises on secondary transactions and spin-outs and advises institutional investors in structuring and negotiating their investments in private investment funds.
- African Capital Alliance ("ACA") in connection with the formation of (i) Capital Alliance Private Equity IV, a USD$570 million private equity fund focused on investments in Sub-Saharan Africa; and (ii) Capital Alliance Real Estate II, a real estate investment fund targeting USD$200 million in commitments.
- Allianz Global Investors ("AGI") in connection with the formation of
- Allianz UK Infrastructure Debt Fund I, AGI's first comingled UK infrastructure debt fund
- Allianz UK Infrastructure Debt Fund II, a UK infrastructure debt fund targeting £1 billion in commitments
- Various other infrastructure debt products
- Apis Partners in connection with the formation of Apis Growth Fund II, an investment fund targeting USD$500 million in commitments for investments financial services companies in growth markets of Africa and Southeast Asia.
- AXA REIM on the formation of its pan-European Commercial Real Estate Senior 8 Fund (CRE8).
- Capital Dynamics in connection with the formation of Capital Dynamics Clean Energy and Infrastructure V and Capital Dynamics Clean Energy and Infrastructure VI, an investment platform with aggregate commitments in excess of USD$1 billion formed to facilitate the acquisition of a portfolio of clean energy projects in North America, the United Kingdom and Europe.
- DRC Capital on its spin-out from Duet Private Equity in 2012, and the subsequent formation and operation of seven funds targeting investments in real estate debt secured by commercial property in Western Europe: European Real Estate Debt Fund II and III; European Real Estate Senior Debt Fund I, III and III; and DRC UK Whole Loan Fund.
- Elbrus Capital Partners in connection with the formation of Elbrus Capital Fund II, a USD$550 million Russian buyout fund, and its successor fund Elbrus Capital Fund III.
- Generation Investment Management in connection with the formation of:
- Generation IM Climate Solutions Fund II, with more than USD$500 million in commitments
- Its successor fund, Generation IM Growth Equity Fund III, targeting up to USD$1 billion in commitments, each of which target investments in the climate change solutions sector
- ICG-Longbow in connection with the establishment of ICG-Longbow Senior Debt Programme, Vintage IV, a GBP£500 million investment platform investing in senior real estate debt opportunities.
- Institutional Investors, including IFC, CDC, DEG and FMO, in connection with limited partners investments in a number of emerging markets private equity funds.
- M&G in connection with the formation of M&G Real Estate Debt Finance IV, M&G Real Estate Debt Finance V and M&G Real Estate Debt Finance VI, a real estate debt platform targeting more than GBP£3.5 billion in commitments from global institutional investors.
- MPC Capital on the establishment of MPC Caribbean Clean Energy Fund LLC, a targeting commitments of USD$200 million for investments in a diversified portfolio of clean energy projects in the Caribbean.
- The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia in connection with its USD$45 billion investment in the Softbank Vision Fund and its limited partner investments in other private equity and venture capital funds.
- Rantum Capital in relation to the formation of Rantum Capital Private Debt Fund II, a fund formed to build a diversified portfolio of loans and other investments in companies operating in various industries in the German Mittelstand.
- Sole Shipping in connection with the successful fundraising of Sole Shipping Special Opportunities Fund II, an investment platform formed to invest in a purchase and leaseback strategy in the shipping industry.
- Stirling Square Capital Partners in relation to the establishment of Stirling Square Capital Third Fund (EUR€550 million in commitments) and Stirling Square Capital Fourth Fund (targeting up to EUR€1 billion in commitments).
- Verod Capital Partners in connection with the formation of Verod Capital Growth Fund II and Verod Capital Growth Fund III, investment funds formed to invest in operating companies in Nigeria and certain other countries in West Africa.
- Waterland Private Equity in connection with the establishment of Waterland Private Equity Fund VI (EUR€1.25 billion), WPEF VI Overflow Fund (EUR€300 million) and Waterland Private Equity Fund VII (EUR€2 billion).
- Zoscales Partners AG in connection with the closing of Zoscales Fund I, an investment fund formed to invest in portfolio companies operating in Ethiopia and certain other East African countries.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of Virginia (BA) 1997
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2003
- International Counsel at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP (New York, Paris, London and Hong Kong offices) 2001 – 2011
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2011
- New York State Bar Association
Awards and citations
- The "super-responsive" Gerard Saviola "looks out for our interests vigorously," says one client, adding: "He is pragmatic and tactical in the way he runs negotiations - he is more than just a lawyer."
Chambers UK 2014
Band 3 - Investment Funds: Private Equity
- Gerard Saviola is "disciplined, focused and insightful ".
Legal 500 UK 2013