Franc Peña specialises in wide range of direct and indirect equity investments into real estate, including real estate related joint ventures, partnerships, private equity and cross border deals, corporate real estate transactions and major developments.
Franc's long-standing client base includes active investors who are targeting the emerging markets, as well as major private equity firms, opportunity funds, banks and financial institutions, real estate funds, listed and private property companies, sovereign wealth funds, joint ventures parties, family offices and corporate occupiers.
Franc's extensive expertise spans a variety of asset classes, including office, logistics, retail, residential and student accommodation. Franc is particularly noted for his exceptional track record in advising clients on their portfolios of inbound and outbound investments and the potential risks and rewards that these present to their business.
- Network Rail on the sale of its commercial real estate portfolio to Telereal Trillium and Blackstone Property Partners for £1.46 billion. The portfolio includes approximately 5,200 properties, the majority of which are converted railway arches
- AIG Global Real Estate in connection with the acquisition, forward funding and corporate disposal of multiple student accommodation projects located throughout the UK and the Republic of Ireland, as well as the establishment of a number of pan-European joint venture investment platforms in the logistics sector
- Angelo Gordon & Co and Hondo Enterprises in connection with a number of London development projects, including the redevelopment of various former car park sites, the acquisition and sale of One Commercial Street and the acquisition of the various freehold and leasehold ownership interests at Brixton Market
- A partnership of major institutional investors on the disposal of a major portfolio of prime international real estate assets. The portfolio includes Grade A assets in key locations across Europe
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University of London (LLB) 1992
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1995
- Joined as Partner, Berwin Leighton Paisner 2003
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2007
Awards and citations
- Ranked by Chambers & Partners UK for Real Estate: Big Ticket 2020
- "According to a client, Franc Peña is "very good at clarifying what the issues are and getting to the nub of a problem fairly quickly." He advises on a range of transactions relating to real estate investment and development, including the acquisition and disposal of substantial property portfolios."
Chambers & Partners UK 2020
- Recommended by Legal 500 UK 2019
- Clients report that Franc Peña is "thorough in his approach, imaginative in the solutions he proposes" and possesses "great problem-solving skills and commercial sensibility." His practice is focused on equity investments, fundings and transactions in the real estate space.
Chambers UK 2018
- Market commentators say: "You always know you are going to have a sensible conversation" when Franc Pena is across the table. He concentrates his practice on direct and indirect property investments".
Chambers UK 2017
- "Franc Peña is well regarded by peers and deals with a range of investment transactions. He frequently deals with overseas clients and properties"
Chambers UK 2016
- "Franc Peña specialises in shopping centre transactions including financings. Peers consider him to be "rightly well regarded in the market – technically and commercially savvy.""
Chambers UK 2015
- "Franc Peña focuses on joint ventures, large developments and the letting of headquarters. Clients include Quantum Global Real Estate and Atlas Capital. Clients appreciate his "commercially minded and diligent" approach"
Chambers UK 2014
- Jonathan Solomon ("very bright – an outstanding lawyer") leads a team of "extraordinarily good people" which includes Mark Payne, Franc Peña ("extremely competent"), Tony Briam and Catherine Cook
Legal 500 UK 2013
- According to clients, Franc Peña "knows the technical stuff and makes sensible commercial suggestions". He was part of the team which advised Eurohypo on a development financing facility and joint venture connected with a City of London office development.
Chambers UK 2013
- Jonathan Solomon, Mark Payne ("very bright"), Adrian Levy, Franc Peña, Tony Briam and Catherine Cook give "commercially focused advice that demonstrates in-depth sector knowledge".
Legal 500 UK 2012
- "Franc Peña represents a number of real estate investment funds, among other clients. Specialising in real estate joint ventures and equity investments, he draws compliments for his ability to "see all the issues and deal with them - he is on the ball, methodical and forward-thinking.""
Chambers UK 2012
- "Franc Peña is well regarded on asset management, and is considered to be "very easy to deal with and very commercial.""
Chambers UK 2011
- Franc Peña is "superb – he has a practical perspective and never loses sight of the commercial aspects of a transaction".
Chambers UK 2010