Emma Matebalavu specialises in Real Estate Finance and all types of structured debt.
Emma specialises in real estate related senior and mezzanine debt, intercreditor arrangements, restructuring and enforcement. Emma advises on CMBS and RMBS transactions, acting for servicers, borrowers, noteholders and other stakeholders. Emma also has significant experience of securitisation of personal loan, credit lenders, whole businesses and residential mortgages.
Emma is a member of European Securitisation Forum/Association for Financial Markets in Europe and Commercial Mortgage Securities Association and speaks regularly at conferences.
- LaSalle Investment Management on a GBP£86 million mezzanine acquisition financing of a portfolio of seven distribution centres across the UK
- A large UK bank on a series of portfolio sales of bonds and loans
- Hatfield Philips as servicer and special servicer on a number of restructurings of CMBS transactions
- Virgin Money as originator on Gosforth Funding 2011-1 plc, Gosforth Funding 2012-1 plc and Gosforth Funding 2012-2 plc RMBS transactions
- RBS as originator on GBP£4.7 billion RMBS (Arran Residential Mortgages Funding 2010-1 plc, Arran Residential Mortgages Funding 2011-1 plc and Arran Residential Mortgages 2011-2 plc)
- A buyer on the acquisition (and financing) of a GBP£100 billion portfolio of loans secured over commercial property across multiple European jurisdictions
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- University College, Oxford University (Law with French law at Panthéon-Assas Paris II) 1997
- Joined Clifford Chance 1999
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2000
- Partner since 2008
- Member of the European Securitisation Forum/Association for Financial Markets in Europe
- Member of the Commercial Real Estate Finance Council (Europe) (Regulatory Committee, CMBS 2.0 Committee)
Awards and citations
- Featured in The Lawyer Hot 100 List 2020