François Farmine specialises in employment law with a particular emphasis on reorganisations and restructuring operations (collective dismissal plans), as well as collective and individual labour disputes, acting for French and international clients.
View more publications by this author
- La vente d'actions avec clause de réserve de propriété - Editions Joly, 1992
- Les actions, Dictionnaire Joly
- La société civile de moyens, Dictionnaire Joly
Career and qualifications
University Panthéon-Assas (Magistère de Juriste d'affaires) 1991
- University Panthéon-Assas (DESS de droit des affaires et fiscalité) 1991
- Admitted as an avocat in Paris in 1992
- White & Case 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2007
Awards and citations
- "Clifford Chance's ‘very experienced’ and ‘easily accessible’ seven-lawyer team provides ‘outstanding support’. Clients point out the practice's ‘ability to handle complex M&A projects in an ever-changing political environment’, while it also stands out for being ‘very good in dealing with high-stakes employment law disputes’. The team acts for a number of longstanding industrial clients including several companies in the automotive sector, which it notably advised on restructuring, downsizing projects and connected litigation. It recently assisted Allia (Geberit) with the closure of two plants in France and Hanon with the implementation of a collective termination agreement. Other clients include Fujifilm, Visteon, Schaeffler and Pfizer. Practice head François Farmine ‘is very thorough, responsive and has a very hands-on approach’".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Employment, 2019
- François Farmine represents employers in litigation proceedings, as well as in dismissals and redundancy plans. He advised Reydel Automotive France on disputes against 74 employees following several reorganisation projects. He is "extremely hands-on," according to clients, who add: "He is very hard-working but remains very responsive and has a pedagogical approach."
Chambers Europe, France, Employment, 2019
- "The ‘extremely well-connected’ Clifford Chance ‘goes the extra mile’ and is a ‘great adviser to succeed in conducting complex reorganisation projects’. The ‘always highly responsive’ eight-lawyer team provides ‘very practical and positively creative advice in complex situations’ and assists numerous industrial clients, including several automobile equipment companies, with large and sensitive restructuring projects, including mass redundancies and litigation. The team is notably representing Schaeffler as shareholder of Continental in a groundbreaking case seeking its client’s civil liability for the closure of Clairoix’s plant and also assisted Fujifilm Holdings France, Fujifilm Medical Systems France and Fujifilm Graphic Systems France with the merger of the three companies. ‘Very committed’ practice head François Farmine is ‘a fantastic professional who provides creative solutions’, ‘makes his clients’ business his own affair’ and ‘is also a nice person with whom it’s nice to work with even for long hours in a stressful context’."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Employment, 2018
- François Farmine frequently advises on various reorganisation projects, social plans and job cuts. Sources commend his focus on customer needs, saying: "He makes his client's affairs his top priority and will go the extra mile to secure his client's success."
Chambers Europe, France, Employment, 2018
- "Clifford Chance provides ‘state-of-the-art legal services’, including ‘good responsiveness, effectiveness and understanding of cases’. The team advises many international companies, especially in the context of restructuring, site closure, mass redundancy and related litigation. It is assisting Allia with the closure of two plants in France. The practice also advises on transactions and assisted Brakes with the acquisition of Davigel. Practice head François Farmine has ‘good understanding of his clients’ situations’."
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Employment, 2017
- Market sources highlight François Farmine as "a very good lawyer with strong legal reasoning," valuing his ability to turn a complex situation into "something pragmatic, commercial and calm." Frequently assisting high-profile companies with reorganisations and contentious matters, he recently led the team advising Schaeffler on multiple claims raised by employees, amounting to EUR6.9 million.
Chambers Europe, France, Employment, 2017
- According to sources, François Farmine has "excellent interpersonal skills on top of being highly dedicated." He is highly experienced in handling corporate reorganisations and employment disputes, both individual and collective.
Chambers Europe, France, Employment, 2016
- "Clifford Chance is recommended for ‘high-level local and cross-border restructuring and sensitive top management matters’. The ten-lawyer team handles litigation and restructuring work. It recently advised Visteon Electronics and Fujifilm. Practice head François Farmine is ‘a great litigator with vast advisory experience".
Legal 500 EMEA, France, Employment, 2016
- François Farmine is a reorganisation specialist who "leads negotiations even when things are getting tough," according to clients, who add: "He can also put everything in context."
Chambers Europe, Employment, 2014
- "Clifford Chance’s 11-lawyer team shows ‘great business sense’, and is involved in major restructuring projects in the industrial sectors for clients such as Lyondellbasell and Visteon. The firm also handles litigation and termination of high-level executives. Practice head François Farmine is ‘highly creative’ and ‘a great negotiator’. Of counsel Christian Lachèze is also recommended."
Legal 500, Employment, 2014
- Clifford Chance’s 13-lawyer team, which has built a reputation handling large restructuring projects, recently assisted Lyondellbasell with the closure of a refinery. The practice also undertakes individual and collective litigation, including discrimination cases, and handles the termination of high-level managers. Other clients include Adecco, Carrefour and Fujifilm. Practice head François Farmine is "skilled and committed".
Source: Legal 500, Employment, 2013
- François Farmine is known as “an extremely effective team leader and a technically brilliant lawyer". Clients appreciate his experience and expertise in social plans.
Chambers Global, Employment, 2012