Anthony Oldfield's practice focuses on international capital markets transactions involving both debt and equity issues and structured finance products, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, including takeovers, joint ventures and venture capital transactions.
Anthony has practiced in the firm's London and Singapore offices.
News and client work
Global M&A Toolkit
Career and qualifications
- University of Essex (LLB Hons)
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales
- Clifford Chance, London and Singapore 1987-1993
- New York since 1993
- Partner since 1997
Awards and citations
- "Anthony Oldfield has an impressive mix of M&A and capital markets work; he is 'a very capable, engaged and experienced lawyer who identifies the critical issues and risks in order to support business decisions'."
Legal 500 Latin America 2019: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- "Anthony Oldfield has an outstanding reputation among clients, with one attesting: 'He's very committed and competent, and the experience he has brings a lot of commercial value. There are no surprises with him, and I am very happy to have him.' Another source says: 'I would single him out for this type of work; he is very experienced in this area.' He has a great deal of experience in the corporate arena, frequently acting for high-profile corporates on prominent inbound and outbound Brazil-focused investments."
Chambers Latin America 2020: Corporate/M&A – International – Brazil: Band 1 Lawyer
- "Anthony Oldfield stands out to interviewees as 'a very committed and competent lawyer whose experience brings a lot of commercial value to matters.' His experience acting on Latin American M&A transactions, particularly those concerning Brazil, is highly sought after by international corporations and private equity funds looking to invest in the region."
Chambers Latin America 2020: Corporate/M&A – International – Latin America-wide
- "Anthony Oldfield is an active figure in this practice area and is the managing partner of the firm's São Paulo office. Clients enjoy working with him, saying: 'He's very hands-on and has a strong business acumen. He is also a great negotiator.'"
Chambers Latin America 2019: Capital Markets – International – Brazil
- "São Paulo managing partner Anthony Oldfield is ‘experienced in finding solutions and defending clients’ interests.’"
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Leading Lawyer
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Capital Markets (Latin America-wide). Clients report that Anthony Oldfield is "very creative and has the ability to lead large matters involving high volumes of work and competing parties." He is managing partner of the São Paulo office and principally handles capital markets deals in Brazil.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Capital Markets
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Corporate/M&A (Latin America-wide). With over 25 years' experience handling cross-border M&A deals, Anthony Oldfield is considered among market observers to be a well-recognised and respected practitioner. He focuses primarily on transactions involving Brazil, and advised Banco Bradesco in the aforementioned work highlight.
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Corporate/M&A
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked in Chambers Latin America - Capital Markets: International (Brazil). Managing partner of the São Paulo office, Anthony Oldfield advises clients on a range of public offerings. Sources speak of his "authoritative" contributions and go on to endorse him for the way he "facilitates deals by smoothing all the aspects of a transaction".
Chambers Latin America 2017 - Capital Markets: International
- Anthony Oldfield has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers Latin America - Corporate/M&A: International (Brazil). Based in São Paulo, Anthony Oldfield is well regarded by market sources for his strong track record advising on high-value, multi-jurisdictional transactions. One interviewee notes: "He is ultra-experienced and knows a great deal about complex operations. His familiarity with the markets in Brazil, England and the USA makes him an excellent choice for cross-border work."
Chambers Latin America 2017- Corporate/M&A: International