View Larger Map
- Legal entity: Clifford Chance
- Regulatory authorities & laws
We help clients navigate the technical and commercial aspects of Luxembourg and international law. And we regularly work alongside clients and international colleagues on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions.
An experienced, award-winning team
We opened our Luxembourg office in 2000, merging with a well-respected local firm that was established in 1982. Today our Luxembourg team includes over 70 lawyers and 8 partners.
We have particular strengths in M&A and corporate, investment funds, regulatory, capital markets, finance and tax. Our full-service offering also includes real estate, employment, litigation and dispute resolution. And our clients know that we can – if required – call on the firm's wider resources and international network.
We won Luxembourg Law Firm of the Year: IFLR, 2012, and Best Finance Law Firm, Luxembourg: Luxembourg Finance Management Awards, 2011 and 2012. We're also part of the firm’s European regulatory team that won Financial Regulation Team of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013.
Technical excellence and industry knowledge
Many of our clients are in the financial industry. We use our experience and carefully tuned teams to deliver technically excellent work that has the right level of partner involvement. One client described us, in Chambers Europe 2013, as "a diligent firm, with quick turnaround times and an excellent partner-level service".
Several of our partners and lawyers serve on the technical committees and working groups of Luxembourg’s financial regulator, the CSSF (Commission de Surveillance du Secteur Financier), the ALFI (Association of the Luxembourg Fund Industry), the Luxembourg Bankers’ Association and the Luxembourg Central Bank. Our close contacts with regulators, along with our extensive market experience, mean that we can keep clients up to date on new rules and market trends and suggest the best way to approach each situation.
Effective teamwork on international transactions
Many major corporates and financial institutions use Luxembourg-based corporate entities so we regularly work on cross-border and multi-jurisdiction transactions.
Our work with the European Stability Mechanism (ESM) and the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF) are high-profile examples of this kind of work as both projects require lawyers from several of our European offices to work together as one closely-coordinated team. We advised the ESM on its debt issuance programme and continue to advise on issues under the programme - its first issue was €39 billion of notes in 2012. We have worked with the EFSF since its formation under Luxembourg law in 2010. Bond issues by the ESM and EFSF won awards at the 2012 Euroweek awards and the 2013 IFLR European awards.
Awards and milestones
- Financial Regulation Team of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Debt and Equity-linked Deal of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Restructuring Deal of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2013
- Luxembourg Law Firm of the Year: IFLR European Awards, 2012
- Best Finance Law Firm Luxembourg: Luxembourg Finance Management Awards, 2011 and 2012
- "With a significant international network the magic circle firm is able to offer solutions for cross-border work. 'I think it is a pretty strong team overall, most of the associates have been there for a while and have decent knowledge of the market,' says one client. 'Their best qualities are prompt turnaround and good co-ordination across the team'."
IFLR1000: Luxembourg - Banking & Finance, 2013
- Sources say: "Willing to go the extra mile. The lawyers are responsive, commercial, and happy to go outside their comfort zone."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg - Capital Markets, 2013
- "This international firm's Luxembourg office has an impressive offering across a wide spread of corporate issues. Cross-border M&A is a particular strength, especially in the banking and insurance sectors, and the team is commended for its tax structuring expertise."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg- Corporate/Commercial, 2013
- "This active team has a strong reputation for its cross-border and multidisciplinary dispute resolution work."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg- Dispute Resolution, 2013
- "Clifford Chance provides 'outstanding' service and 'treats all matters with a sense of urgency'."
Legal 500 EMEA: Luxembourg - Employment, 2013
- Sources say: "Lawyers with very creative minds and great ideas. Fast, responsive and thorough."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg - Investment Funds, 2013
- Sources say: "It is a diligent firm, with quick turnaround times and an excellent partner-level service."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg - Real Estate, 2013
- Sources say: "An efficient team which provides fast answers, even to complex questions. The lawyers have an excellent understanding of the interaction of Luxembourg with other jurisdictions.' 'The practice knows the bigger picture regarding our work, and gives us practical, applicable solutions'."
Chambers Europe: Luxembourg - Tax, 2013