Clifford Chance, Istanbul
Kanyon Ofis Binasi Kat. 10
Buyukdere Cad. No. 185
We have in-depth knowledge of the Turkish market. We advise international corporates who want to enter the market, leading Turkish conglomerates on their domestic and international transactions, banks and government entities.
An international capability that's grounded in local know-how
We opened an office in Istanbul in April 2011 and have a consultancy arrangement with Yegin Ciftci Attorney Partnership ('YCAP'). We have in-depth knowledge of the Turkish market.
We provide the highest level of service across the entire legal spectrum.
Our English law capability and, through YCAP our Turkish law expertise, sets us apart in the Turkish market. Our lawyers have excellent knowledge of local market trends and practice. We are the go-to law firm for banking and finance, project finance, capital markets and mergers and acquisitions.
We use our international reach, technical excellence and client-friendly approach to deliver complex transactions and build longstanding client relationships.
Cross-border deals for domestic and international clients
Our work is often multi-jurisdictional. We regularly work with lawyers across our international network. This means that our lawyers are familiar with international best practice, used to complexity and to working in extended teams. They also have first-hand experience of the technical and practical aspects of the Turkish market.
We are unrivalled experts in key growth sectors in Turkey
Energy and infrastructure: we have been involved in all the major transactions in the energy and infrastructure sector in Turkey over the last decade. We have an in-depth understanding of the regulatory environment and commercial drivers. We regularly advise sponsors and banks on the development and financing of projects that include ports, airports, tunnels, hospitals, bridges and roads. In 2012, our team won three Deal of the Year awards for infrastructure projects.
Consumer goods and retail: we support companies in the CG&R industry – from strategic acquisitions, disposals and major financings to brand management and commercial agreements.
Private Equity: we have market-leading experience in all aspects of private equity transactions and regularly advise both local and international players on buyout and growth capital transactions across numerous sectors.
We have won numerous awards for our project transactions, including:
- Turkish Power Deal of the Year: PFI, 2012 for the EnerjiSA- Tufanbeyli Lignite Power Project
- Turkish Power Deal of the Year: PFI, 2012 for Project Babadağ / Bosphorus Tunnel
- Global Transport Deal of the Year Award: Infrastructure Journal, 2012 for Project Babadağ / Bosphorus Tunnel
Examples of work include advising:
- Carrefour on the reorganisation of its partnership with Turkish company Sabancı Holding
- Ajinomoto on the acquisition of 50% of Kükre Gıda ve İhtiyaç Maddeleri ve Özel Eğitim Hizmetleri Ticaret A.Ş.
- Maspex on the incorporation of a joint venture in Turkey with TAT Konserve Sanayii A.Ş., a subsidiary of Koç Holding A.Ş.
- Distribuidora Internacional de Alimentación, S.A. (DIA) and Turkish listed conglomerate Hacı Ömer Sabancı Holding, A.Ş. on the sale of the Turkish company Diasa Dia Sabancı Süpermarketleri Ticaret A.Ş. to Turkish companies Yıldız Holding A.Ş and ŞOK Marketler Ticaret A.Ş.
- on the second international sukuk issuance by the Republic of Turkey on the Irish Stock Exchange listed US$1.25 billion 4.557 per cent. lease certificates due 2018
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited, HSBC Bank plc, NCB Capital Company, Noor Islamic Bank PJSC, QInvest LLC and Sharjah Islamic Bank PJSC as managers on the debut issuance by Türkiye Finans Katılım Bankası A.Ş. of US$500 million of 3.950% certificates due 2018
- Türk Eximbank on its US$500 million bond issue
- Koç Holding on its debut offering of US$750 million of notes due 2020
- Société Générale, London Branch as Structuring Bank and Bookrunner on a €142 million commercial loan facility and a €608 million loan facility backed by the Korea Trade Insurance Corporation to finance the development and construction of a 450 megawatt lignite-fired power plant and associated lignite mine and limestone quarries, to be located near Tufanbeyli, Adana in the Republic of Turkey
- the lenders on the $1.4 billion Phase I financing of the Gebze-Orhangazi-Izmir motorway (including the Izmit Gulf crossing suspension bridge) in Turkey
- European Bank for Reconstruction & Development, Türkiye Garanti Bankası and Denizbank on the financing of Energaz and the expansion and development of its gas distribution network
- Garanti Bank on the financing of Abraaj’s acquisition of Yörsan Gıda.
- "Mete Yegin consistently receives high praise from peers, who say he is 'a strong name in bank finance'. Sources note his experience in project finance and capital markets instruments."
Chambers Global: Turkey, 2012
- Itır Sevim-Çiftçi is described as someone who "impresses interviewees with her deep expertise in M&A and technical nous."
Chambers Europe: Turkey, 2011 - Corporate/M&A
- Capital Markets
- Commercial Contracts
- Intellectual Property
- International Arbitration
- Joint Ventures
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Restructuring & Insolvency