We've had a presence in Russia since 1991. We advise clients on their Russian and international business and help them manage and prepare for change.
Over two decades of Russian know-how
We know Russia well and use our experience of Russia’s fast-moving business and legal environment to help clients achieve their business goals and to manage the risk that inevitably comes with this.
We understand the market and the key players, as well as the legal framework. We advise Russian companies on their domestic and international business and work with international corporates looking to do business in the Russian market, keeping ourselves at the sharp end of legislative change. For example, we have advised on industry submissions on a suite of laws designed to develop the local financial infrastructure, and on the effective rewriting of the Russian Civil Code.
The teamwork and the resources that get the best possible results
Our Moscow-based team includes 4 partners and over 30 lawyers in total. We work across Russia and the CIS states, and our full-service offering ranges from finance and M&A to tax. Our lawyers are qualified in Russian, English and German law. And when we work on international transactions we can call on the expertise of over 3,200 lawyers in our international network from 32 offices in 22 countries.
We have what it takes to protect your position, to find solutions, and to deliver the deal in even the most complex domestic and cross-border transactions.
"Clifford Chance is well respected and has very high work standards. It has an international network so can guide the client in multiple jurisdictions when the project involves that. The contact lawyers coordinate matters with an attention to detail and business mentality in the background."
IFLR 1000, Russia
"Clients applaud the team's ability to solve complex mandates. "They very efficiently and quickly respond to any unexpected risks; they always try to find a solution to mitigate these risks."
Chambers Europe, Russia
- Advising Sovcombank as borrower on the first ever ESG loan in the Russian banking sector. The syndicated facility of US$350 million was provided by a group of international and Russian banks to finance Halva "buy now pay later" (BNPL) platform.
- Advising the Ministry of Finance of the Russian Federation in connection with the EUR1.25 billion 1.850% Eurobond issue due 2032.
- Advising Henkel Russia on the final integration (merger) of Henkel Bautechnik, a manufacturer of construction mixtures with more than a dozen facilities across Russia, into their business.
- Advising KNGK-INPZ on the financing of construction of complex for the production of gasoline and aromatic hydrocarbons as part of the large-scale modernization programme of Ilsky Oil Refinery with an aim of creating a new enterprise that would be in the forefront of the oil refining and petrochemical industry in the South of Russia.
- Advising a Chinese company on Russian regulatory requirements potentially applicable to bitcoin binary options traded on a crypto-derivative platform.