We opened our first Asia Pacific office in 1980 and have since gone on to build a significant market-leading presence in the region. Our 400-plus lawyers advise clients on the full range of business law for their regional and international activities.
Our Asia Pacific network began with our Hong Kong and Singapore offices which opened in 1980 and 1981 respectively. Since then, we've invested to keep pace with our clients' businesses and worked on opportunities both within and beyond the region.
We now have nine offices in six Asia Pacific countries. These include two offices in China – Beijing, which opened in 1985 and Shanghai, which opened in 1993 – and our newest office, Seoul, which opened in 2012. We also have an association with Linda Widyati and Partners in Indonesia and with litigation boutique, Cavenagh Law in Singapore. In other countries where we don’t have offices we have close working relationships with local law firms. This gives us a cost-effective way to deliver results for clients in every country in the region.
Multi-jurisdictional teams with a dedicated ASEAN focus
The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) offers huge opportunities for investors. The ten country bloc – Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Myanmar, Brunei, Laos the Philippines and Cambodia – is one of the fastest growing regions in the world.
The ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) was set up in 2015. It is built to create a single market across ASEAN nations. With the AEC beginning to emerge, we are one of the few firms with a dedicated taskforce of partners and associates focusing on industry trends, opportunities and challenges for clients in the ASEAN region. This taskforce operates across and co-ordinates lawyers in our offices in Bangkok and Singapore, and through our association with Linda Widyati & Partners in Jakarta. Our Country Focus Groups for Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines and Vietnam, include teams of lawyers based in all our practice areas and offices worldwide. These teams pool their knowhow and expertise for issues involving ASEAN jurisdictions.
Our teams of talented lawyers have won us a string of awards that include:
- 2016: Aviation Law Firm of the Year (Asian Legal Business Awards)
- 2016: International Deal Firm of the Year (Asian Legal Business Awards)
- 2016: Asia Pacific Firm of the Year (Chambers Asia Pacific Awards)
- 2016: International Firm of the Year (IFLR Asia Awards)
- 2016: Project Finance Team of the year (IFLR Asia Awards)
- 2016: Restructuring Team of the year (IFLR Asia Awards)
- Advised DVB Bank SE, Norddeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale and BNP Paribas on the financing of Korean Air Lines' first Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
- Advised one of Asia's largest alternative investment management firms, PAG Asia Capital on its US$170 million investment as part of a combined US$225 million investment with existing investor Meridian Capital into Europe-based dairy and ice cream producer Food Union Group
- Advised United Luck Group Holdings Limited (United Luck) on its US$1 billion acquisition of 100% of the shares of Outfit7. Outfit7 is headquartered in UK and Cyprus, and is the creator and developer of highly-popular mobile APPs such as 'Talking Tom' and 'Talking Angela', which were hailed in 2016 as one of the 'Most Downloaded APPs of All Time' for Android
- Advised the underwriters on the international aspects of the US$184 million (Rs 12.4) initial public offering of BSE Ltd. (formerly the Bombay Stock Exchange), Asia's oldest stock exchange. The IPO was the first listing of a stock exchange in India and was oversubscribed by 51 times
- Advised KrisEnergy Ltd. on a number of capital restructuring transactions including a consent solicitation for the mandatory exchange of its S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured notes for new S$130 million and S$200 million senior unsecured accrued interest notes, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, and a S$139.5 million preferential offering of senior secured notes and equity warrants, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange. The firm's Banking and Finance team is also advising KrisEnergy on the restructuring of its revolving credit facility and the Derivatives team is advising on the restructuring of the currency swaps linked to the underlying bonds
- Advise Mondelēz International, Inc. (NASDAQ: MDLZ) on the sale of most of its grocery business in Australia and New Zealand (excluding Philadelphia cream cheese) to Bega Cheese Limited (ASX: BGA) for AU$460 million
- Advised Qatar-based energy company Nebras Power Q.S.C on the acquisition from Engie of 35.5% in PT Paiton Energy, Indonesia's largest Independent Power Provider through its associated office in Jakarta, Linda Widyati & Partners (LWP)
- Advised ANZ on its agreement to sell its 20% stake in Shanghai Rural Commercial Bank (SRCB) to China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited and Shanghai Sino-Poland Enterprise Management Development Corporation Limited
- Advised global energy company Royal Dutch Shell plc on an agreement with Viva Energy Pty Ltd for the sale of Shell Aviation Australia Pty Ltd for a total transaction value of approximately US$250 million. This follows the sale of Shell’s other downstream activities in the country to Viva Energy in 2014, on which Clifford Chance also advised
- Clifford Chance maintains its market leading position advising on the biggest initial public offerings on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange for 2016. The firm's Greater China team advised on 10 IPOs totalling US$15.293 billion. The list includes Postal Savings Bank of China's US$7.6 billion IPO, the largest IPO globally for 2016, CR Pharmaceutical's US$1.8 billion IPO, China Merchants Securities' US$1.3 billion IPO and Everbright Securities' US$1.1 billion IPO
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017
- Tier One in Aviation: Finance
- Tier One in Banking & Finance
- Tier One in Capital Markets
- Tier One in Corporate/M&A
- Tier One in Investment Funds
- Tier One in Projects & Infrastructure
- "One of the many benefits that we have enjoyed with Clifford Chance is that the team has greater breadth of experience in relevant areas of importance and significance.
- "I feel completely confident that we are being represented by the highest calibre lawyers, who are able to strike the right balance between our commercial considerations and the requirements of the arbitration process."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Arbitration
- "Excellent! They operate very effectively on a global basis. I think they are the best in managing complex global deals that require strong co-ordination between their various offices."
- "They've showed that they're quick and sharp in picking up issues while at the same time finding the right commercial solution. Ultimately, the real value comes in when the right commercial decision is made and they've always managed that for us."
- "They have broad aircraft financing and leasing expertise across the globe."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Aviation Finance
- "They give extremely sharp advice and are very assertive. They always give extremely relevant suggestions and have good knowledge of legal frameworks. They have a clear understanding of legal implications and are great negotiators."
- "They're always very prompt to reply and they give us detailed responses. They're technically sound and what they can offer on top of that is to offer advice from a business perspective. They are a very commercial law firm in that sense."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Banking & Finance
- "They have a broad platform which provides coverage of different products.
- "You can access them at all times and they're not calculating all of the tiny calls you have in the fees."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Capital Markets
- "They act as if integrated into our team, and it was clear that our success was their success."
- "They were helpful not only from the legal perspective, but from the business perspective as well."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Corporate/M&A
- "They made an outstanding contribution and were pivotal to the success of the transaction."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Islamic Finance Asia Pacific
- "The firm has the capability to help large international fund managers navigate the regulatory landscape in China."
- "Their industry knowledge in this area is high; they definitely understand the issues here and how they relate to us."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Investment Funds
- "Clifford Chance has a broad offering in the life sciences space, including regulatory and corporate capabilities."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 Life Sciences
- "a powerhouse in the region, with an exceptional international network and ability to handle time-sensitive and complex matters." Others observe that they "see them a lot in an international role," with one source explaining: "Clifford Chance is our international counsel and we're satisfied they always give us their highest-quality advice."
- "Their services are outstanding. They understand our needs, sometimes even better than us, and are always responsive. We trust Clifford Chance to fight battles for us, and they exceed our expectations."
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 – Projects & Infrastructure
- Antitrust & Competition
- Capital Markets
- Employment - Advisory, Litigation & Transactional
- Funds & Investment Management
- Intellectual Property
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliances
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Investigations, Enforcement & White Collar
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Telecommunications, Media & Technology