Ivory Coast and OHADA zone
Our OHADA - Francophone Sub-Saharan Africa practice provides legal advice across Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Mali, Niger, Republic of Congo, Senegal and Togo.
Our multi-disciplinary practice brings together lawyers from different practice groups and offices, particularly London and Paris. Our lawyers are fluent in both English and French.
We have been at the forefront of developing and implementing the OHADA law in major secured financings in several OHADA Member countries. In recognition of our OHADA law expertise, we were asked by the World Bank and the OHADA Authorities to help prepare an analytical report with proposals for the reform of the OHADA Uniform Act on Security (the revised act came into effect in May 2011).
Our clients include African and international corporations, investors, commercial lenders, export credit agencies, development agencies and governments, domestic and international private equity funds.
We boast a wealth of on the ground experience, delivering international market practice in the regional business environment.
Our expertise across the region covers a variety of industries (banking, energy and natural resources, infrastructure, private equity, telecoms) and the full range of legal services (from project finance to capital markets, lending, private equity and corporate/M&A, dispute resolution):
- Project Finance: we pride ourselves on having acted on landmark projects in the region such as the Azito and Ciprel Power plants in Côte d’Ivoire, the Kribi power plant in Cameroon, the extension of the Dakar toll road in Senegal, the Chad-Cameroon petroleum and pipeline project, the Cap des Biches power plant in Senegal, the financing for the construction and operation of a container terminal in the port of Lomé
- Corporate: our recent highlights include advising Actis on the sale and transfer of Globeleq Africa to a consortium formed by Norfund and CDC (including assets in Cameroon and Côte d’Ivoire), advising on the USD 1.35 billion acquisition of Caracal Energy Inc., a company focused on oil and gas exploration, development and production activities in the Republic of Chad, advising Carrefour on its joint venture arrangements with CFAO for the development and operation of retail activities in Senegal, Cameroon, Congo, Ivory Coast, DRC, Gabon, Nigeria and Ghana
- Capital Markets: recently advised on the two sovereign debt issuances by the Republic of Gabon and the Republic of Cameroon
- Lending: we advise numerous clients on loan facilities
We have excellent and long standing relationships with all of the leading law firms in the region. In September 2013, we launched the Clifford Chance Africa Academy ("CCAA"), which provides a structured training programme that is accessible for all our relationship African counsel. Regional law firms took part in the sessions we organised in Côte d'Ivoire and Cameroon.
Awards and Milestones
- Africa Deal of the Year 2015: Republic of Senegal CFA100 billion sukuk - Islamic Finance News Awards
- Deal of the Year – Power 2013: Azito Gas-Fired Power Plant expansion - Infrastructure Journal
- African Power Deal of the Year 2012: Azito Gas-fired Power Plant expansion – PFI Awards
- African Transport Deal of the Year 2012: Riviera-Marcory Bridge
- Senegal - Cap des Biches Project – Advising OPIC and IFC in connection with financing of the renovation of the 52.9MW combined cycle power plant running on heavy fuel with the option of conversion to natural gas located at the site of Cap des Biches in Senegal.
- Senegal - Toll Road and Extension – Advising the lenders (IFC, AfDB, BOAD, CBAO) on the US$ 409 million financing of first section of the Dakar toll road concession (Diamniadio) – African Transport Deal of the Year 2010, Project Finance Magazine 2011 and on the extension towards the new International Airport of Blaise Diagne (“AIBD”) awarded to SENAC (owned by Eiffage SA.)
- Senegal – Advising the Republic of Senegal on its inaugural CFA100 billion (c. US$ 200 million) sukuk issuance, the first major sukuk issuance by a sovereign in Africa – Africa Deal of the Year, Islamic Finance News Awards 2015.
- Côte d'Ivoire - Ciprel power plant - Advising the lenders in relation to the financing of the conversion of the Ciprel power plant into combined cycle in Côte d'Ivoire.
- Côte d'Ivoire - Azito Phase III: Advising the lenders in connection with their contemplated respective loans to Azito Energie S.A. for the partial financing of the conversion of the existing Azito simple cycle gas-fired power plant to a combined-cycle power plant (Phase III).
- Côte d'Ivoire - Abidjan Toll Bridge Project: Advising Pan African Infrastructure Development Fund (PAIDF) and AFC in a transaction to purchase shares in Société Concessionaire du Pont Riviera Marcory (SOCOPRIM), owned by the Ivorian Government and its affiliates, Total and Bouygues.
- Cameroon – Advising Société Générale and Standard Chartered Bank in connection with the USD750 million offering of 9.50% notes due 2025 by the Republic of Cameroon.
- Cameroon / Côte d'Ivoire - Globeleq Africa – Advising Actis on the transfer of its Globeleq Africa power portfolio comprising 8 power generation assets in different African countries, including Cameroon and Côte d’Ivoire.
- DRC - Nyumba Ya Akiba – Advising a group of financiers composed of development financial institutions (including AfDB and International Finance Corporation), and the Danish export credit agency (Eksport Kredit Fonden) on a US$300 million project financing arranged by Habib Bank Limited for the design, construction, development, operation and maintenance of a greenfield cement manufacturing plant (and associated facilities) and the exploitation of limestone and clay quarry mines by Nyumba Ya Akiba SA in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Gabon – Advising Citigroup, Deutsche Bank and Standard Chartered (as joint lead managers and dealer managers) in relation to the Gabonese Republic’s issue of US$ 1.5 billion 6.375% Amortizing Notes due 2024 (including a liability management exercise and new money issuance).
- Chad - Glencore – Advising on the US$ 1.35 billion acquisition of Caracal Energy Inc., a company focused on oil and gas exploration, development and production activities in the Republic of Chad.
- Togo – Container Terminal - Advising the lenders (including IFC, AfDB, DEG, FMO, ICF DP, OFID, CDB, Proparco) in connection with the financing of one of the largest containers terminals in West Africa Region (Port of Lomé).
- Mali – Segou Solar IPP - Advising the lenders in connection with the financing for the greenfield 33 MW solar power plant project developed by Segou Solar S.A. and sponsored by Scatec Solar ASA
- Congo Brazzaville – Advising in connection with a Glencore pre-payment facility
- Regional - Carrefour SA - Advising Carrefour SA to form a joint venture with CFAO for the development and operation of retail activities in 8 West and Central African countries via franchise agreements with the Carrefour group.
- "Internationally recognised firm with experts based in London and Paris. Its work in Cameroon centres around the banking and finance side of deals, and it often represents investors and lenders in energy-focused projects."
General Business Law – Cameroon (Desks Based Abroad) – Chambers Global 2017