We have been active in Africa for over 40 years. We help clients anticipate the evolution of markets and their business in the fast-changing African business and legal environment.
Global team covering all the regions
We deliver our services through more than 200 Clifford Chance lawyers around the globe, in particular in Paris, London, Casablanca, Frankfurt, the United States, the Middle East and Asia. They are experts in their fields, working in close collaboration with six dedicated Africa regional teams and the top law firms in Africa.
Our Africa Practice is organised on a regional basis in order to provide teams with the relevant legal and market experience. They have multi-lingual capabilities, including English, Arabic, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Afrikaans.
Best practice sharing
Through our regional teams, we make sure that knowledge and best practice developed in one regional market in Africa are shared with teams working on matters in other regions across the Continent.
Having been active in Africa for over 40 years, we use international best practice to provide clients on Africa matters with the same standards of service they have come to expect from us throughout the world.
Local law and knowledge
Our regional teams maintain close relationships with the best African law firms. We work together and meet on a regular basis to nurture and deepen those relationships. Our network of local counsel relations permits us to provide clients the opportunity to choose the best local African legal advisor for each matter, and we coordinate and can serve as a single point of contact.
We advise leading international and African corporates, banks and investors across all sectors, including power, natural resources, infrastructure, financial services and regulation, CG&R, agriculture, TMT, real estate, oil & gas, education, housing, healthcare and pharmaceuticals.
A few figures
In the last 12-18 months, our 200+ lawyers from across the firm regularly involved in Africa work were busy advising on:
- 350 active transactions of all types spanning 40 countries across Africa
- on power projects providing over 8GW of energy across 25 countries
- 100 project financings in more than 30 African countries for over US$6 billion
- 50 Lending and capital markets transactions across over 20 African countries for over US$5 billion
- 100 M&A and PE transactions across 25 countries
- over 25 disputes across more than 20 African countries
A commitment to excellence in Africa
We launched our Clifford Chance Africa Academy in September 2013. It provides world-class training for the associates and senior associates of the African law firms we work with regularly. This programme helps talented African lawyers develop their careers and helps guarantee our clients the highest standard of service and advice. To date, over 300 participants from almost 75 law firms in 21 countries have participated in the training, covering topics such as banking, project finance, capital markets, corporate and dispute resolution.
A commitment to Africa
We are actively involved in community programmes across Africa including advising on legal reform and the establishment of local charities.
We also engage in pro bono efforts to support the legal profession and legal services in Africa and have an extensive record in providing pro bono advice and legal representation in Africa.
An acknowledged practice which is result-driven
Our expertise is widely acknowledged, as shown by the fact that we won International Law Firm of the Year at the African Legal Awards 2016 for the second time. We have been ranked Tier One in Africa by Chambers Global for Corporate & Commercial and Projects & Energy for each consecutive year since 2009, and we have won multiple awards for individual transactions.
Comments and rankings in independent legal directories show that clients recognise that our approach delivers results:
- "Their knowledge of Africa is one of the best in the market."
- "Very good experience, both locally and internationally, and they were proactive, commercially minded and extremely resourceful."
- "Clifford Chance continues to be a lead player in this vast developing market, and its involvement in Africa is going from strength to strength."
- "This firm is undoubtedly one of the leading Africa practices, with a clear commitment to a wide variety of projects and energy work."
- "Clifford Chance is great in Africa."
Awards and Milestones
- International Law Firm of the Year: The African Legal Awards, 2013 & 2016
- Overall Legal Advisor of the Year: Private Equity Africa Awards, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016
- Deals Legal Advisor of the Year: Private Equity Africa Awards, 2015
- African Power Deal of the Year: Amandi, Ghana: PFI Awards 2016
- African Oil & Gas Deal of the Year: OCTP, Ghana: PFI Awards 2016
- Africa - Multi-sourced Financing Award - Azura-Edo IPP, Nigeria: IJGlobal Awards 2015
- African Power Deal of the Year - Maamba Collieries Coal-fired Plant and Mine, Zambia: IJGlobal Awards 2015
- African Power Deal of the Year - Maamba Collieries Coal-fired Plant and Mine, Zambia: PFI Awards 2015
- EMEA Deal of the Year - Safi Coal-fired power plant, Morocco: Trade Finance Awards 2015
- EMEA Deal of the Year - Kenya Airways - ECA-backed aircraft financing: Trade Finance Awards 2015
- EMEA Deal of the Year - Kosmos Financing and Refinancing, Ghana: Trade Finance Awards 2015
- African ECA Deal of the Year - Ethiopian Railways: TXF Awards 2015
- Debt Deal of the Year - Ethiopian Railways: African Banker Awards 2015
- Africa Deal of the Year - Republic of Senegal CFA100 billion sukuk: Islamic Finance News Awards 2015
- Infrastructure & Project Finance Deal of the Year - Al Sharkiya Sugar Manufacturing Company financing, Egypt: Islamic Finance News Awards 2015
We are proud of our activity on ground-breaking and high profile deals across Africa. Please refer to the specific key jurisdictions and regions to find out about our recent activity in Africa.
- "Firm which is at the forefront of the projects space in Africa for its activity in some of the region's most significant and innovative projects. Has extensive experience handling IPP mandates involving conventional and renewable energy, including solar and wind. Enjoys a strong position in the mining, oil and gas and infrastructure markets, drawing on the firm's dedicated construction team."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2017: Africa wide - Projects & Energy
- "A leading international firm with an impressive African department that represents major African and international corporations and investors. Has extensive experience dealing with complex M&A and private equity transactions and investment funds. Has a growing portfolio of corporate work relating to infrastructure projects. Regarded by peers and clients as being a leader in the field."
Tier One -Chambers Global, 2017: Africa wide - Corporate/M&A
- "Impressive firm covering the full range of financial issues in Africa. Excels on financial regulation and DCM matters, with substantial experience handling complex mandates on the restructuring of debt and loans. Represents major international and African banks on a range of financial transactions. Advises investment and development initiatives on infrastructure and project finance. Maintains a prominent Casablanca office."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2017: Africa wide - Banking & Finance
- "Regarded as a dominant presence in project finance, this team is well reputed for its role in some of the largest projects throughout Africa. Also assists lenders and sponsors with transactions in the space, and increasingly active on power projects in the region."
"They're top-notch in project finance and their knowledge of Africa is one of the best in the market."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2016: Africa wide - Projects & Energy
- "Top international firm well regarded for its experience in handling complex M&A, project finance and private equity transactions in Africa. Offers particular expertise across sectors such as TMT, energy and finance""Clifford Chance really understand the African continent. They have the experience needed to actually have a feel for it - I would rate them top for sure."
Tier One -Chambers Global, 2016: Africa wide - Corporate/M&A
- "Leading practice advising financial institutions, public entities and development agencies across the continent on top-tier finance transactions. Maintains an established presence in North and West Africa through its Casablanca office while teams in London, Paris, Frankfurt and Dubai co-ordinate operations in all key jurisdictions."
"They have unparalleled expertise in the industry and are my first-choice firm."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2016: Africa wide - Banking & Finance
- "One of the most prominent corporate practices, regularly sought after for big-ticket and high-profile M&A deals, project financings and capital markets work. Highlighted for its strength in private equity transactions in Africa. Attracts an enviable clientele including leading domestic and international corporates, financial institutions and private equity funds."
"They genuinely have experience and expertise across the board."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2015: Africa wide - Corporate and Commercial
- "One of the most well-respected project finance practices, drawing on deep expertise from its teams in London and Paris, as well as Casablanca. Handles some of the largest mandates on the continent, including oil and gas, power and infrastructure projects across the continent."
"They have a good reputation and their work has been fantastic." "They have excellent credentials."
Tier One - Chambers Global, 2015: Africa wide - Projects & Energy
- Antitrust/competition, EU & Trade
- Capital Markets
- Employee Incentives & Share Schemes
- Funds & Investment Management
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Project Finance
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Investigations, Enforcement & White Collar
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Tax, Pensions, Employment & Incentives