Thais Garcia is a member of the Clifford Chance Latin America Group.
Thais specialises in cross-border M&A, restructurings and joint ventures, with a particular focus on the Latin America and US markets.
Thais regularly represents corporates, private equity houses, pension funds, infrastructure funds and other investors in their investments in the region. Among the sectors she focuses on are energy and infrastructure, consumer goods & retail and TMT.
- Actis on the establishment of a Pan-Latin American renewable energy platform, Atlas Renewable Energy, and the acquisition of over 1,500 MW of solar PV assets from SunEdison
- The Coca-Cola Company and Coca-Cola FEMSA on their US$575 million agreement to acquire AdeS, the soy-based beverage unit of Unilever
- Empresas Públicas de Medellín (EPM) in relation to the $4.4 billion merger of its telecommunication business with companies of the Milicom group
- Frontera Energy (formerly Pacific Rubiales) on its joint-venture with IFC in Pacific Infrastructure, a platform to invest in oil and gas infrastructure projects in Colombia, including a liquid and a dry port in Puerto Bahia
Clifford Chance advises CDPQ on its acquisition of a minority interest in SURA Asset Management, launching a strategic partnership across Latin America
23 January 2019
Clifford Chance advises Actis on inaugural acquisition of solar plant from SunPower Corporation
12 February 2018
Clifford Chance advises Actis on the establishment of Zuma Energy and on its first acquisition in Latin America
22 October 2014
- Women, Influence & Power in Law: Considerations for Cross-Border Transactions
Speaker, October 17, 2019
Career and qualifications
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (LLB) 2005
- Instituto de Empresa Business School (LLM) 2007
- Admitted as an abogado in Madrid 2008
- Fordham University (LLM) 2016
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2017
- Partner since May 2018
- Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
- New York City Bar
- Member of the Inter-American Affairs Committee of the New York City Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Thais Garcia has a fine reputation in financial sponsor deals; she is 'a truly dedicated partner', has 'an excellent understanding of investment details and strong knowledge of the region', 'does a terrific job of distilling down very complex shareholder agreement issues to allow clients to make the right decisions' and is 'very engaged, super smart and always keeps the whole team moving at the pace that's needed'.
Legal 500 Latin America 2019: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Next Generation Lawyer
- "Thais Garcia is a fundamental team member for cross-border deals involving Latin America."
Legal 500 USA 2019: M&A/Corporate and Commercial
- "Thais Garcia is ‘very thorough, organized and diligent’ and is ‘a welcome addition to the partnership’; a native Brazilian who speaks fluent Spanish, her ‘multiple qualities facilitate the deal process’ noted one client."
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Next Generation Lawyer
- Legal 500 US-Mexico Private Practice Powerlist 2018
- "Thais Garcia is ‘outstanding’, ‘bright’ and ‘highly qualified’; clients regard her as a ‘great transactional lawyer’ and ‘deal maker’ who has solid ‘knowledge of Latin American corporate regulations."
Legal 500 USA 2016 Latin America: International Firms – Corporate and M&A