Thais Garcia is a member of the Clifford Chance Latin America Group.
Thais specialises in cross-border M&A, restructurings and joint ventures, with a particular focus on the Latin America and US markets.
Thais regularly represents corporates, private equity houses, pension funds, infrastructure funds and other investors in their investments in the region. Among the sectors she focuses on are energy and infrastructure, consumer goods & retail and TMT.
- on the establishment of a Pan-Latin American renewable energy platform, Atlas Renewable Energy, and the acquisition of over 1,500 MW of solar PV assets from SunEdison in Latin America
- on its acquisition of an 110MW El Pelicano Solar Plant in Chile from SunPower Corporation
- on the acquisition of a 92% stake in Energuate, Guatemala’s largest electricity network, from Gas Natural Fenosa and its subsequent sale to IC Power, a wholly-owned subsidiary of New York Stock Exchange-listed Kenon Holdings
- CVC funds on its first investment in Latin America, a joint venture with Cosan, one of the largest Brazilian conglomerates with assets in the energy and logistics sectors
- Caisse de dépôt et placement (CDPQ) on the acquisition of a strategic interest in SURA Asset Management
- Interconexión Eléctrica (ISA) on its acquisition of the Cartagena-Barranquilla highway. The transaction represented ISA's first road concession in Colombia and the first acquisition under Colombia's 4G program
- Colony Capital on certain aspects of its acquisition of Abraaj’s Latin America private equity platform from Abraaj and its affiliates (in liquidation) and the establishment of its Latin America private equity business
- The Coca-Cola Company and Coca-Cola FEMSA on their acquisition of AdeS, the soy-based beverage unit of Unilever
- Private equity fund Castlelake L.P. on its investment in the wind project developer Greenwind SA in a joint venture with Pampa Energía SA
- Macquarie on an acquisition in the infrastructure sector in Latin America
News and client work
- Women, Influence & Power in Law: Considerations for Cross-Border Transactions
Speaker, October 17, 2019
Career and qualifications
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (LLB) 2005
- Instituto de Empresa Business School (LLM) 2007
- Admitted as an abogado in Madrid 2008
- Fordham University (LLM) 2016
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 2017
- Partner since May 2018
- Colegio de Abogados de Madrid
- New York City Bar
- Member of the Inter-American Affairs Committee of the New York City Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Up-and-coming partner Thais García is described by one source as "a rising star," while another remarks that "she is amazing in negotiations and translates from 'legal' to 'business' really easily."
Chambers Latin America 2021: Corporate/M&A (Latin America-wide)
- Ranked as a Next Generation Partner
Legal 500 Latin America 2020, Corporate and M&A – International Firms
- Thais Garcia has a fine reputation in financial sponsor deals; she is 'a truly dedicated partner', has 'an excellent understanding of investment details and strong knowledge of the region', 'does a terrific job of distilling down very complex shareholder agreement issues to allow clients to make the right decisions' and is 'very engaged, super smart and always keeps the whole team moving at the pace that's needed'.
Legal 500 Latin America 2019: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Next Generation Lawyer
- "Thais Garcia is a fundamental team member for cross-border deals involving Latin America."
Legal 500 USA 2019: M&A/Corporate and Commercial
- "Thais Garcia is ‘very thorough, organized and diligent’ and is ‘a welcome addition to the partnership’; a native Brazilian who speaks fluent Spanish, her ‘multiple qualities facilitate the deal process’ noted one client."
Legal 500 Latin America 2018: International Firms: Corporate and M&A – Next Generation Lawyer
- Legal 500 US-Mexico Private Practice Powerlist 2018
- "Thais Garcia is ‘outstanding’, ‘bright’ and ‘highly qualified’; clients regard her as a ‘great transactional lawyer’ and ‘deal maker’ who has solid ‘knowledge of Latin American corporate regulations."
Legal 500 USA 2016 Latin America: International Firms – Corporate and M&A