Roger Singer specialises in the formation of private equity funds. Roger has advised sponsors of private equity, real estate, natural resources, infrastructure and debt funds, as well as funds of funds.
Roger also advises sponsors on fund manager M&A transactions and single-investor vehicles. His clients range from first-time fund sponsors to some of the world's largest investment managers. Representing investors in funds is also part of Roger's practice. Both his sponsor and investor representations often involve a cross-border aspect.
- Berkshire Group, Colony Capital, Exeter Property Group, Madison International and other real estate sponsors on their private funds, separate accounts and co-investment transactions
- Appian Capital Advisory, Cathay Capital, Kandeo Investment Advisors and other private equity sponsors on their private equity funds
- A variety of pension funds, insurance companies, funds of funds and other institutional investors on their fund investments, co-investments and secondary transactions
Clifford Chance advises Colony Capital on its buyout of Abraaj's Latin American PE platform
23 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises on debut institutional fund for Griffis Residential
12 October 2017
- CRE Financial Council After-Work Seminar: Raising Investment Capital: Going Beyond Business Plans
Moderator, October 16, 2019
- Special Real Estate Family Office Meeting – Opportunity Zones: The Opportunity of Opportunity Zones
Panelist, December 12, 2018
US Considerations for Transition Away from LIBOR
2 August 2017
The A – Z of Fundraising
9 March 2015
SEC Bad Actors and General Solicitation Rules Take Effect Today
23 September 2013
SEC Likely to Postpone Deadlines for Compliance with Investment Adviser Registration and Reporting Requirements under the Dodd-Frank Act
10 April 2011
Career and qualifications
- Princeton University (AB, Politics) 1993
- Columbia University School of Law (JD) 1996
- Joined Clifford Chance 1996
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1997
- Partner since 2006
Awards and citations
- Roger Singer has been ranked in Chambers USA: Investment Funds - Private Equity: Fund Formation. He comes particularly highly recommended for real estate fund formation. Clients appreciate that he "knows the market and is very helpful," adding that he is "excellent at thinking through the regulatory aspects."
Chambers USA 2019 - Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation (Nationwide)
- Roger Singer has been ranked in Chambers USA - Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation (Nationwide). Roger Singer heads the private funds practice of Clifford Chance US LLP and is described as "a guru of the industry and a tremendous resource" by clients. He is singled out for his knowledge of debt funds, but his expansive practice also extends to advising sponsors on real estate, natural resources and funds of funds.
Chambers USA 2017- Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation
- Roger is ranked in both Chambers and Legal 500