Richard Catalano specialises in general tax law with an emphasis on partnership and corporate tax planning and the taxation of real estate collective investment vehicles, including REITs and investment funds.
Richard represents REITs, including mortgage REITs, in structuring, formation, IPOs, merger, disposition, and acquisition transactions. He advises sponsors, as well as taxable, tax-exempt and foreign investors, on formation and structuring of real estate funds and with their investment acquisitions, including acquisitions structured through limited partnerships, limited liability companies and private REITs.
Clifford Chance advises on debut institutional fund for Griffis Residential
12 October 2017
Clifford Chance's US REIT team advises on the groundbreaking IPO of Safety, Income and Growth
29 June 2017
- Special Real Estate Family Office Meeting – Opportunity Zones: The Opportunity of Opportunity Zones
Panelist, December 12, 2018
US Tax Reform: Who comes out ahead?
21 December 2017
New UK taxes on offshore IP structures - The impact on traditional and digital businesses - UK Budget 2017
23 November 2017
New SEC Staff Guidance Extends FAST Act Financial Disclosure Relief and the JOBS Act Confidential Review Process to all Issuers, Including REITs
13 September 2017
IRS Limits 'Earnings Stripping' by Multinational Corporate Groups
17 October 2016
New Spin-off Rules
21 July 2016
Career and qualifications
- Georgetown University (BSBA, magna cum laude) 1987
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in Connecticut 1991
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1992
- New York University School of Law (LLM, Taxation) 1994
- Partner since 2000
Awards and citations
- Richard Catalano has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA: REITs - Tax. He is noted by clients as "one of the leading REIT tax people in the country; very few people have that expertise like he does." He is particularly proficient in the taxation of mortgage REITs.
Chambers USA 2019 - REITs: Tax (Natiowide)
- Richard Catalano has been ranked in Chambers USA: Tax. He is acknowledged as an expert in REIT tax matters. Sources call him "well versed and extremely knowledgeable. He provides creative, realistic and practical advice."
Chambers USA 2019 - Tax (New York)
- Richard Catalano has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers USA – REITs (Nationwide). The "outstanding" Richard Catalano is "one of the more knowledgeable tax attorneys in the REIT business," who is praised for being "very creative and commercial." He often handles public offerings for both REITs and banks.
Chambers USA 2017 - REITs
- Richard Catalano has been ranked in Chambers USA - Tax (New York). Richard Catalano continues to be warmly regarded for his transactional practice. He is particularly esteemed for his work on REIT structurings. Sources regard him as “commercial, creative, articulate and client-friendly.”
Chambers USA 2017 – Tax