John Howitt is a partner in the US Finance and Restructuring Group of Clifford Chance specializing in asset finance. In particular, he focuses on aircraft finance, including leveraged lease transactions, operating leases (domestic and cross-border), new and used aircraft purchases (including portfolio acquisitions), sales (including portfolio sales) and sale-leasebacks, securitizations, restructurings and manufacturer support arrangements.
John also has considerable experience in bank and private placement credit transactions, including asset-based financings; domestic and Latin American debt restructurings; acquisition and recapitalization financings; project financings; domestic, Eurodollar, and Eurocurrency loans; loan and note swaps; sales and participations; letter of credit facilities; and commercial paper facilities.
Career and qualifications
- University of California at Los Angeles (BA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) 1975
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in California 1978
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1988
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2006
Awards and citations
- John Howitt has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA: Transportation: Aviation: Finance. He maintains an impressive standing in the market as "one of the lions of the industry," according to commentators. He acts for lessors in relation to the sale and purchase of aircraft, as well as handling securitizations and sale and leaseback deals.
Chambers USA 2019 - Transportation: Aviation: Finance (Nationwide)
- John Howitt has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA - Transportation: Aviation: Finance (Nationwide). The "excellent" John Howitt offers clients years of experience in handling aircraft purchases, securitizations, sales and leasebacks and leveraged lease transactions. One source notes that he is "very calm and commercial in his approach. He would be considered the professor of aircraft financing and leasing in the USA."
Chambers USA 2017 - Transportation: Aviation: Finance