Jay Gavigan represents lenders and borrowers in domestic and international financing transactions. He has experience in transactions in all major international markets and has practiced in Clifford Chance's European and Asian offices though currently focuses on the Americas.
Jay has experience with a wide range of financing transactions including acquisition and leveraged finance, project finance, asset finance, syndicated credits, real estate finance and workouts.
In the acquisition finance space, he has represented commercial and investment banks and private equity sponsors in leveraged buyouts, going private transactions, leveraged recapitalizations and strategic acquisitions. His experience in this area includes capital raising in Europe and the United States and acquisitions in Europe, the United States and Latin America.
Jay represents commercial banks, agencies, operators and investors in offshore oil and gas transactions, principally in the Americas. This practice includes acquisitions, refinancings, construction, workouts, transportation and credit enhancement transactions and includes debt capital markets transactions (project bonds) and combined bank/bond transactions.
He also represents private real estate and infrastructure funds and lenders to those funds, public REITS as borrowers, US homebuilders as borrowers and lenders to homebuilders in Latin American jurisdictions.
Jay has substantial experience in U.S. and cross-border leasing transactions, U.S. and international capital markets transactions and derivatives transactions including credit-default swap related financing transactions.
- Advising Lennar Corporation in connection with its $2.4 billion unsecured revolving credit facility (with a $420 million accordion).
- Advising Samchully Asset Management Co., Ltd. in its US$300 million financing arranged by BAML of a 34% stake in Cardinal Gas Service LLC from Total E&P USA, Inc. and EV Energy Partners, L.P.
- Advising Korean Electric Power (KEPCO) on the financing of its acquisition of a 235MW utility-scale solar project in California from Recurrent Energy.
- Advising Itaú Corpbanca Colombia SA, Citibank NA, JPMorgan Chase Bank, NA, HSBC México, SA and Bank of America Merrill Lynch as arrangers if a US$100 million revolving letter of credit facility for Frontera Energy Corporation.
- Advising Sealed Air Corporation as borrower under US$1 billion syndicated secured term and revolving credit facilities arranged by Bank of America and then subsequently advising in respect of its refinancing of its senior secured revolving credit facility.
- Advising Offshore Drilling Holding (ODH) in the amendment or restructuring of its $950 million senior notes due 2020, project financings for La Muralla IV semisub and Cantarell I & Cantarell II jackups and sale-leasebacks for Cantarell III and Cantarell IV.
- Advising FS Investments, through its public company subsidiaries, on a series of asset-based financings from JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, HSBC and others.
- Advising private equity and other funds sponsored by, among others, Madison International, Long Wharf, Amherst, AIG, Capital Dynamics, Center Square, Oak Street and Five Arrows on subscription facilities, NAV facilities, management company lines and other financings provided by Wells Fargo, Bank of America, SMBC, Citibank, Goldman Sachs, Investec, First Republic and others.
- Advising a global investment management firm in the US$70 million private placement for the financing of the 850MW and 94MW CCGT projects with PPAs with CFE Calificados.
- Advising SMBC as lead arranger and agent in relation to a JPY 33,525,000,000 senior unsecured term loan provided to Flex Ltd.
Clifford Chance advises on refinancing and extension of Glencore's Revolving Credit Facilities
4 April 2019
Clifford Chance advises private equity firm OpCapita on its acquisition of a majority stake in US retailer Maurices
25 March 2019
Clifford Chance US Listed as a Qualified Advisor for the Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnership ("PPP") Authority
18 December 2017
Clifford Chance US advises Sealed Air on financing matters related to the US$3.2 billion sale of Diversey Care to Bain Capital
13 September 2017
Clifford Chance advises Deutsche Bank Luxembourg S.A. in relation to a syndicated loan agreement for Henkel for the financing of the acquisition of Sun Products
26 July 2016
US Considerations for Transition Away from LIBOR
2 August 2017
Career and qualifications
- Michigan State University Honors College (BS, Phi Beta Kappa) 1991
- Northwestern University School of Law (JD, cum laude) 1994
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1995
- Joined Clifford Chance 1994
- Partner since 2004
Awards and citations
- Jay Gavigan has long-standing experience advising clients on a variety of transactions, including acquisition, corporate and project finance. He has advised both lenders and borrowers on complex syndicated and bilateral term lending, as well as restructuring existing debt and credit facilities in various Latin American markets.
Chambers Latin America 2019 - Banking & Finance
- Jay Gavigan has been ranked in Chambers Global 2019 for Banking & Finance, Latin America-wide.