Jay L. Bernstein is Chairman of the Firm’s US Corporate Finance Group. He represents, in both domestic and international markets, sponsors, investors, investment banks, specialty finance companies, REITs and other real estate, finance and hotel companies in their capital raising and merger and acquisition activities. He is also the Co-Head of the Americas Region's Financial Institutions Group, which assists a range of financial institutions, including insurance companies, specialty finance companies, asset management firms, business development companies, banks and investment banks, in their capital raising and merger and acquisition transactions.
Jay's clients include leading specialty finance companies, REITs, investment banking firms, private equity and other institutional investors providing equity and debt capital to real estate, finance and hotel companies. He also advises institutional clients in the formation of private equity funds dedicated to real estate and hotel investments and represents several of these private equity funds in their investment activities.
Since 1997, Jay has participated in more than US$25 billion of capital raising and mergers and acquisitions transactions involving real estate, finance and hotel companies primarily in but also outside of the US. These transactions include a variety of IPO transactions, public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, strategic investments and mergers and acquisitions.
Jay also represents issuers and underwriters in public and private and equity and debt offerings in a variety of other industries, including industrial manufacturing.
- The Tokenization of the St. Regis Aspen Resort
Speaker, January 16, live webinar
- Special Real Estate Family Office Meeting – Opportunity Zones: The Opportunity of Opportunity Zones
Moderator, December 12, 2018
SEC Adopts Amendments to Further Modernize and Simplify Disclosure Requirements
10 April 2019
Pros and Cons of the OCC's New Fintech Charter
10 August 2018
NYSE Restricts Material News Releases Shortly After Official Close
29 December 2017
New SEC Staff Guidance Extends FAST Act Financial Disclosure Relief and the JOBS Act Confidential Review Process to all Issuers, Including REITs
13 September 2017
The Odds Look Good for Integrated Resorts in Japan
15 December 2016
Career and qualifications
- Lake Forest College (BA, with highest honors) 1981
- Boston University School of Law (JD, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) 1984
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1985
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Partner since 1995
Awards and citations
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA: REITs. He is known across the US as an exceptional REITs practitioner. Clients declare that "he's an extraordinary lawyer; he brings a tremendous level of experience to the table."
Chambers USA 2019 - REITs (Nationwide)
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers USA - REITs (Nationwide). One source notes that Jay Bernstein is "one of the most creative lawyers around" and someone who "thinks outside the box for his roster of great clients." He has a wealth of experience in relation to the formation of hospitality and real estate investment funds.
Chambers USA 2017 - REITs