Jay Bernstein leads our efforts in the REIT, permanent capital vehicle and specialty finance areas. His practice is focused on the creation of innovative permanent capital vehicles. He served as Chairman of the Firm’s Corporate Finance group for more than ten years.
He represents, in both domestic and international markets, sponsors, investors, investment banks, asset managers, specialty finance companies, REITs and other real estate and finance companies in their capital raising and merger and acquisition activities.
Since 1997, he has participated in more than US$50 billion of capital raising and mergers and acquisitions transactions involving real estate, finance and asset management companies. These transactions include a variety of IPO transactions, public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, strategic investments and mergers and acquisitions. He is a frequent lecturer on issues important to the REIT, specialty finance and asset management industries. He has been ranked as a top tier lawyer for REITs in the Chambers USA guide and Legal 500 USA since 2009.
- The Tokenization of the St. Regis Aspen Resort
Speaker, January 16, live webinar
- Special Real Estate Family Office Meeting – Opportunity Zones: The Opportunity of Opportunity Zones
Moderator, December 12, 2018
SEC Proposes Amendments to Improve Accuracy of Proxy Voting Advice and to Modernize Shareholder Proposal Rules
27 November 2019
SEC Adopts Amendments to Further Modernize and Simplify Disclosure Requirements
10 April 2019
Pros and Cons of the OCC's New Fintech Charter
10 August 2018
NYSE Restricts Material News Releases Shortly After Official Close
29 December 2017
New SEC Staff Guidance Extends FAST Act Financial Disclosure Relief and the JOBS Act Confidential Review Process to all Issuers, Including REITs
13 September 2017
Career and qualifications
- Lake Forest College (BA, with highest honors) 1981
- Boston University School of Law (JD, cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa) 1984
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1985
- Joined Clifford Chance 1991
- Partner since 1995
Awards and citations
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked Band 1 in Chambers USA: REITs. He is known across the US as an exceptional REITs practitioner. Clients declare that "he's an extraordinary lawyer; he brings a tremendous level of experience to the table."
Chambers USA 2019 - REITs (Nationwide)
- Jay Bernstein has been ranked as Band 1 in Chambers USA - REITs (Nationwide). One source notes that Jay Bernstein is "one of the most creative lawyers around" and someone who "thinks outside the box for his roster of great clients." He has a wealth of experience in relation to the formation of hospitality and real estate investment funds.
Chambers USA 2017 - REITs