Gary Boss has established himself as a leading transactional lawyer in the United States, and globally, with a particular distinction for work in the financial services space.
Gary is co-head of the firm's Global Insurance Sector Group. He has established strong ties with the financial services industry and regularly works with some of the largest private equity companies, hedge funds, asset managers, banks, insurers and reinsurers.
Gary's work encompasses domestic and cross-border M&A transactions of all types as well as reorganizations, joint ventures and investment transactions, where he has worked with large financial investors and other corporates. Gary also has extensive experience advising on public company spinoffs, IPOs and direct listings, primary and secondary equity offerings, tender offers, private placements, high-yield offerings and contingent capital transactions. He also works with large financial investors to develop sophisticated and highly structured investment products.
Gary has led on the formation and capital raise of 11 companies with an aggregate value of over US$14 billion raised from institutional, asset management, private equity, hedge fund, sovereign and family office investors and sponsors, and has come to be regarded as the undisputed leading industry expert in this line of work. In each of these transactions, Gary has acted as both a legal and business advisor to the companies, and their sponsors, and his work involves a complex mix of advice on new company formation, investment structuring, capital raising, M&A bolt-on acquisitions, affiliate and sponsor servicing and infrastructure support arrangements, investment management arrangements, debt offerings, regulatory issues and corporate governance issues. By natural extension, Gary is now managing many of the subsequent transactions entered into by each of these companies along with overseeing much of the day-to-day corporate and governance work. This work has created significant market entrants that are having widescale effect on the industry and Gary's work has been recognized by numerous industry publications and honors.
Gary is also at the forefront of insurtech and fintech and is corporate counsel to a leading insurtech and also regularly advises a leading Fortune 500 fintech company on large corporate and strategic matters. Gary is recognized as a leading lawyer in Legal 500 USA and Chambers USA.
News and client work
- Innovative structures emerge to beat US offshore reinsurance tax (Insurance Day)
18 June 2018
Career and qualifications
- Brigham Young University (BA Economics) 1989
- University of Michigan (MBA) 1993
- Yale Law School (JD) 1996
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York 1997
- American Bar Association
Awards and citations
- Gary Boss garners praise for his adroit handling of complex transactions, formations and ventures within the insurance industry. An impressed client reports: "Besides being a terrific technical lawyer, he has also been extraordinarily responsive to all our needs and provides thoughtful guidance in all areas."
Chambers USA 2020: Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (New York)
- Leading Lawyer
Legal 500 USA 2020: Insurance: Non-contentious
- Gary Boss serves as cochair of the firm's US insurance practice and primarily advises on the formation of insurance and reinsurance companies as well as a variety of other transactional matters. "He is like a guardian angel," comments one pleased client, adding: "He makes sure things get done."
Chambers USA 2020: Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory (Nationwide)
- Recognized Lawyer: Insurance Law
The Best Lawyers in America (2021 Edition)
- "Gary Boss 'is a highly experienced, thoughtful adviser and has a deep knowledge of the insurance sector,' say impressed clients, and another adds: 'He is a great legal practitioner but also very commercially minded.' He is recognized for his considerable skill in handling high-value transactional matters in the insurance and reinsurance space."
Chambers USA 2019: Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory – New York
- "[Gary Boss] is on top of every issue and ensures high-quality advice by all involved practice areas."
Legal 500 USA 2019: Insurance: non-contentious: Leading Lawyer
- "Gary Boss is 'very responsive, commercial and technically sound,' report sources, with others adding: 'He advocates well for clients, is on top of the issues and is knowledgeable.' He is experienced across a spectrum of transactional matters and noted for particular skill in reinsurance-related deals. He also advises on regulatory issues."
Chambers USA 2018: Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory – New York
- Leading Lawyer
Legal 500 USA 2018: Insurance: non-contentious
- "Gary Boss comes highly recommended for his expertise in insurance transactions, offering particular expertise in complex formations involving reinsurance entities. Sources value his 'very creative, entrepreneurial and commercial' approach to deals, as well as his 'encyclopedic knowledge of even the finest points and pragmatic solutions to seemingly complex problems.'"
Chambers USA 2017: Insurance: Transactional & Regulatory – New York
- Two insurance deals structured by Clifford Chance receive top industry awards