David Felsenthal has a leading practice in derivatives, structured finance and fintech. He works on derivatives transactions and regulations across a range of asset classes and transaction types. He has been a leader in developing and executing structured products, including securities linked to credit and equity and structured financing arrangements. David also advises extensively on trading transactions including repo and securities lending financing.
David is part of Clifford Chance's pre-eminent global fintech practice. He has worked on a range of new and developing structures including blockchain and token sales.
David's expertise has been recognized by leading trade associations: he has represented ISDA in its advocacy for improved swap margin rules and other matters; and he gives the industry-wide opinions for SIFMA for the standard documentation for repo, securities lending and forwards. He is a frequent speaker at conferences organized by PLI, ISDA, and others. He has written articles that have been featured in various publications and websites, including the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation and the Columbia Blue Sky Blog.
David has been recognized by Chambers US and Chambers Global in Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide). Clients note that David Felsenthal is "incredibly commercial and has an incredible ability to boil down complex issues into more easily understandable concepts." Others add: "He is well respected and considered both smart and easy to work with."
Before joining Clifford Chance, David worked in the Legal Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. He graduated from Princeton University and Harvard Law School, cum laude.
Clifford Chance advises OPIC and EKF on largest wind power project in West Africa
20 August 2018
Clifford Chance advises OPIC and IFC for the financing of the renovation of a 52.9MW combined cycle power plant in Senegal
13 January 2016
Clifford Chance advises Banco Santander, S.A. on innovative Peruvian toll road project financing
10 June 2015
- SFA Residential Mortgage Finance Symposium: CRT Beyond the GSEs: Significant Risk Transfer for Banks and Insurance Companies
Speaker, November 4, 2019
- ISDA - Getting Ready for Phase 5 Initial Margin Implementation: Initial Margin Requirements for Uncleared Swaps
Speaker, September 27, 2019
- Crypto Considerations for Fund Managers
FintechPolicy.Org, March 2019
- SCI's 3rd Annual Risk Transfer & Synthetics Seminar: The US Perspective
Panelist, March 12, 2019, Clifford Chance New York
- Practising Law Institute's Fundamentals of Swaps & Other Derivatives 2018
Speaker, October 22, 2018, New York
- Blockchain East Summit + Trade Show
Speaker, October 8-10, 2018, New York
- Security Token Academy Launch Event: Regulatory Panel
Speaker, October 5, 2018, New York
- Corporate Counsel Business Journal, Is a Cryptocurrency Crash Coming?
David Felsenthal and Jesse Overall
Private international law aspects of smart derivatives contracts utilizing DLT
13 January 2020
National versus global approaches to financial crisis management
16 October 2019
Volcker Rule 2.0: Some Helpful Upgrades and Bug Fixes - Update Your Volcker Policies and Procedures Now
9 October 2019
Stablecoins - a global overview of regulatory requirements in Asia Pacific, Europe, the UAE and the US
17 September 2019
Busting Bitcoin's anonymity - the implications for financial institutions
13 September 2019
Career and qualifications
- Princeton University (BA) 1981
- Harvard Law School (JD) 1985
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York 1986
Awards and citations
- David Felsenthal has been ranked in Chambers USA: Capital Markets - Derivatives. He is valued by clients for his "deep experience on both the regulatory and the transactional side" of derivatives. He acts for an enviable client list that includes financial institutions, dealers and trade organizations. Sources comment: "He is responsive and an expert in his area. While he understands the requirements of the law, he is also pragmatic in his approach to dealing with issues."
Chambers USA 2019 – Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide)
- David Felsenthal has been ranked as Band 2 in Chambers USA – Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide). Clients note that David Felsenthal is "incredibly commercial and has an incredible ability to boil down complex issues into more easily understandable concepts." Others add: "He is well respected and considered both smart and easy to work with." He advises on a range of derivatives transactions and regulatory requirements.
Chambers USA 2017 – Capital Markets: Derivatives