David Felsenthal has a leading practice in derivatives, structured finance and fintech. He works on derivatives transactions and regulations across a range of asset classes and transaction types. He has been a leader in developing and executing structured products, including securities linked to credit and equity and structured financing arrangements. David also advises extensively on trading transactions including repo and securities lending financing.
David is part of Clifford Chance's pre-eminent global fintech practice. He has worked on the regulation and documentation of a range of new financial structures.
David's expertise has been recognized by leading trade associations: among other matters, he gives the industry-wide opinions for SIFMA for the standard documentation for repo, securities loans and forwards. He is a frequent speaker at conferences organized by PLI, ISDA, and others. He has written articles that have been featured in various publications and websites, including the Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation and the Columbia Blue Sky Blog.
David has been recognized by Chambers US and Chambers Global in Capital Markets: Derivatives (Nationwide). Clients note that David Felsenthal is "incredibly commercial and has an incredible ability to boil down complex issues into more easily understandable concepts." Others add: "He is well respected and considered both smart and easy to work with."
Before joining Clifford Chance, David worked in the Legal Department of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. He graduated from Princeton University and Harvard Law School, cum laude.
News and client work
- SFVegas 2020: GSE CRT - Market Overview and Update
Speaker, February 25, 2020
- SFA Residential Mortgage Finance Symposium: CRT Beyond the GSEs: Significant Risk Transfer for Banks and Insurance Companies
Speaker, November 4, 2019
- ISDA - Getting Ready for Phase 5 Initial Margin Implementation: Initial Margin Requirements for Uncleared Swaps
Speaker, September 27, 2019
- Crypto Considerations for Fund Managers
FintechPolicy.Org, March 2019
- SCI's 3rd Annual Risk Transfer & Synthetics Seminar: The US Perspective
Panelist, March 12, 2019, Clifford Chance New York
- Practising Law Institute's Fundamentals of Swaps & Other Derivatives 2018
Speaker, October 22, 2018, New York
- Blockchain East Summit + Trade Show
Speaker, October 8-10, 2018, New York
- Security Token Academy Launch Event: Regulatory Panel
Speaker, October 5, 2018, New York
- Corporate Counsel Business Journal, Is a Cryptocurrency Crash Coming?
David Felsenthal and Jesse Overall
Career and qualifications
- Princeton University (BA) 1981
- Harvard Law School (JD) 1985
- Federal Reserve Bank of New York 1986
Awards and citations
- David Felsenthal has been ranked in Chambers USA 2021: Capital Markets - Derivatives. Clients note that David is "responsive and an expert in his area and, while he understands the requirements of the law, he is also pragmatic in his approach to dealing with issues."
Chambers USA 2021: Capital Markets – Derivatives.
- David Felsenthal is recognized by Legal 500 USA 2021 for his work in Fintech and Derivatives and Structured Products. In respect of his Derivatives and Structured Products practice, sources comment: "David Felsenthal in the U.S. is the go to person for all synthetic deals. Great lawyer, responsive, thoughtful and commercial. Is able to solve difficult regulatory issues in a commercial manner."
Legal 500 USA 2021
- David Felsenthal is included as a Highly Regarded lawyer in IFLR1000 USA 2021: Capital Markets: Derivatives
- Clifford Chance's Derivatives team was named Derivatives Team of the Year – Regulatory 2021 by Global Capital.
- Clifford Chance's Derivatives team was named North American Law Firm of the Year 2020 by Structured Credit Investor