Christopher J. Morvillo has extensive experience representing corporate and individual clients in white-collar government investigations, related regulatory and civil proceedings, and internal investigations.
Chris' recent representations have included investigations and prosecutions of alleged insider trading, trade secret theft, securities fraud, accounting fraud, healthcare fraud, and alleged violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and the Arms Export Control Act. He has also recently conducted internal investigations for corporate clients involving possible corporate espionage, violations of the Endangered Species Act, insider trading, and embezzlement.
From 1999 to 2005, Chris served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, where he investigated, tried and handled appeals in a wide variety of criminal cases, including in the area of healthcare fraud, insurance fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice, counter-terrorism, and narcotics. Among other notable prosecutions and investigations, Chris assisted in the criminal investigation arising out of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and served as one of the lead prosecutors on the successful 10-month counter-terrorism trial of defense attorney Lynne Stewart and her co-conspirators, one of the longest criminal trials in Southern District history.
District Court Decision Highlights Risks of Cooperating Too Closely with Government Investigations
10 May 2019
FCPA and the Commodity Exchange Act: A New Relationship
13 March 2019
DOJ Revises Corporate Cooperation Policy But Leaves Individual Employees in the Crosshairs
3 December 2018
The rising tide of litigation against directors
2 October 2018
English Court of Appeal Overturns Lower Court Decision in ENRC
7 September 2018
Career and qualifications
- Fordham University School of Law (JD) 1992
- Admitted as an Attorney-at-Law in New York and Connecticut 1993
- U.S. Attorney General’s Award for Exceptional Service 2005
- Partner since 2011
- Member of the New York City Bar Association and the Federal Bar Council
- Adjunct Professor of Law at Fordham University School of Law
Awards and citations
- Christopher Morvillo has been ranked in Chambers USA: Litigation - White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations. He comes highly recommended for his strong cross-border white-collar practice, which includes investigations into allegations of securities fraud and foreign corruption. Interviewees report that he “achieves an incredible mastery of factual material, and is just so good with people - he's calm and calming in stressful circumstances."
Chambers USA 2019 - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (New York)
- The American Lawyer | Am Law Litigation Daily named Christopher Morvillo its Litigator of the Week on August 31, 2018 for winning a "precedent-setting ruling from the Second Circuit with major implications for FCPA prosecutions." Am Law's interview with Chris is available here.
The American Lawyer | Am Law Litigation Daily – Litigator of the Week: "Chris Morvillo Makes New FCPA Law (and Wins One for Dad)"
- Christopher Morvillo has been ranked in Chambers USA - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (New York). Christopher Morvillo frequently represents clients subject to government investigations, offering notable strength in matters with an international aspect. According to one interviewee, he is "particularly adept at complicated fact patterns," as well as being"so good with people that he puts them at ease in really rough situations."
Chambers USA 2017 - Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations