Simon Briscoe has more than 25 years' experience in cross-border asset finance and heads the top ranked Clifford Chance Asian Asset Finance group, supported by established teams in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo and elsewhere in Asia.
Simon has a reputation as a leading expert in the field of aviation financing in the Asia Pacific, acting for various lessors, operators and banks in and around the region. He is admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales, Hong Kong and New Zealand.
- A number of the leading operating lessors in connection with operating leases for aircraft into a variety of regional jurisdictions, including Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, India, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan and the PRC
- A number of operating lessors in connection with the sale and purchase of Aircraft, including portfolio sales and purchases, purchase and lease backs and part out transactions
- The leading French, German, Singaporean, Australian and Japanese banks in connection with numerous cross border financings for airlines and operating lessors in the Asia Pacific and middle East regions, including ECA supported and commercial debt financing (including mortgage backed and finance lease transactions) and predelivery payment facilities
- A number of European, Singaporean and Australian banks in connection with various tax based leasing products (including JOLs, JOLCOs and GOLs) for airlines and operating lessors in the Asia Pacific region
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Victoria University of Wellington
- Chapman Tripp, New Zealand 1983
- Admitted as a solicitor in New Zealand 1984
- Norton Rose, London 1987
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 1990
- Denton Hall Burgin & Warrens, London, Singapore and Hong Kong 1990
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 1993
- Norton Rose 1993
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2008
Awards and citations
- Simon is acknowledged as a leading individual in the 2016 edition of the Asia Pacific Legal 500 guide to Asia’s commercial law firms and in Band 1 Asia wide for asset finance practitioners in the Asia-Pacific Region in Chambers Asia 2016, Asia’s leading lawyers for business. He is also recognised by Chambers Global 2016 as being in Band 1 globally (the only lawyer named in the Asia Pacific in that band), with a world wide reputation in the Aviation finance area. He is consistently named as a leader in the field in Euromoney Publication’s Guide to the World's Leading Aviation Lawyers.