Paul Landless specialises in structured finance, derivatives and financial markets products, including securitisations, repackagings, structured notes, securities lending and repo. He leads the financial markets team in Singapore and South East Asia.
Paul also has extensive experience in various types of structured transactions, including in relation to commodities trading, commodity financing and various forms of structured trade finance. He regularly advises on global and local financial regulatory developments and financial market infrastructure.
He is also co-head of our Tech Group and one of the leaders of our Fintech practice. His focus is financial markets technology, algorithmic trading, crypto markets, artificial intelligence, smart contracts and DLT uses in financial markets trading, risk management, treasury, and payments.
Paul has worked in Clifford Chance's London, Hong Kong and Singapore offices, sits on the firm's global Brexit Markets Group and helps to lead the ASEAN Focus Group and the Philippines Focus Group.
News and client work
Career and qualifications
- Slaughter and May 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance London 2004
- Joined Clifford Chance Hong Kong 2006
- Admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong 2010
- Joined Clifford Chance Singapore 2012
- Partner since 2014
- Member of the global Panel of Recognised Market Experts in Finance Foundation (P.R.I.M.E. Finance) based in the Hague.
- Committee member in BritCham's Fintech and TMT committee
- Associate member of the Singapore Fintech Association
Awards and citations
- "..excellent quality, very good client management and good attention to detail."
Ranked Band 1 - Chambers Asia Pacific 2022: Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives: International - Singapore
- "He is able to bring a level of knowledge of financial market systems to this area which not everyone can do."
"He is always enthusiastic about the projects and is able to articulate and highlight issues that need to be addressed at the appropriate times."
Ranked Band 2 - Chambers Asia Pacific 2022: Fintech Legal - Singapore
- Paul Landless is a key figure for structured finance, derivatives and securitisations, and has particular expertise in commodities trading. Landless is also part of the firm's Brexit markets group.
- Leading Individual
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2022: Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Derivatives and Securitisation: Foreign Firms
- Paul Landless is highly commended by clients, who regard him as a "good commercial thinker with strong expertise." He is well versed in a wide variety of structured transactions as well as securitisation and regulatory issues.
Ranked Band 1 - Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives: International - Singapore
- Clifford Chance awarded 'Global Law Firm of the Year – Overall' at the GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2021
Band 1: Singapore: Securitisation and Derivatives
- In this regard, the firm is well-placed given that Paul Landless, a structured finance, derivatives and financial markets products specialist, also co-heads the global tech group.
- Leading Individual
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021: Capital Markets: Structured Finance, Derivatives and Securitisation: Foreign Firms
- Paul Landless is also recommended for his work on securitisations, structured finance and derivatives.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021: Foreign firms
- Paul Landless considered a key player in this practice area. "He's super on top of regulations both in Asia and globally." "He's able to plot where things might be heading, which is fantastic."
Band 1: Chambers Asia Pacific 2017: Singapore, Capital Markets: Securitisation & Derivatives: International
- “Paul Landless is on top of his game: not only does he know the technical side but he has an amazing perspective for the client side, he understands what our needs are.”
Band 1: Chambers Asia Pacific 2016: Singapore: Securitisation & Derivatives: International