Kate Sherrard specialises in financing of maritime and offshore oil & gas assets as a part of Global Asset Finance Group.
Kate has advised on a wide range of structured financing transactions across the maritime and offshore oil & gas sectors with a focus on LNG carriers and offshore oil & gas units, including drilling rigs, FPSOs, FSRUs, FLNG, FPUs and FSOs and other floating platforms. Her experience includes asset and project financing transactions including debt, structured, ECA, sale and leaseback, private equity, Islamic financing, loan to bond, preference shares.
In addition to financing arrangements, she also advises lenders and owners on shipbuilding contracts, time charters, bareboat charters, sale & purchase contracts and other project contracts; and problem loans, enforcement, restructuring and company re-organisation.
Previously, Kate was a partner at Norton Rose Fulbright.
- lenders in relation to financing to a UAE company for a power ship operating in Indonesia under Liberian flag
- Sponsors in relation to joint venture arrangements in Indonesian with a view of purchasing LNG vessels for operation in Indonesia
- Sponsors in relation to flagging requirements in Indonesia and refinancing of LNG vessels currently operating in Indonesia
- a Singapore headquartered tanker operator in relation to financing of two shuttletankers on long term charter to Statoil
- a Japanese LNG operator in relation to (successful) tender process of four (4) LNG carrier vessels for long term employment to a Singapore based charterer and Russian LNG project and negotiation of shipbuilding contracts with Chinese yard.
- a Japanese LNG operator in relation to joint venture arrangements and reflagging in Indonesia
- Mitsui O.S.K. Lines Ltd on an ethane carrier project for Reliance Industries
Clifford Chance advises Japanese shipowner MOL on long-term contract for pioneering LNG bunker vessel
6 December 2019
The new insolvency, restructuring and dissolution bill
17 September 2018
Eye-Spy – Latent Defects And 'As Is, Where Is' Clauses In Charter Parties
8 January 2018
PI Clubs Pay to be paid versus direct action
30 August 2017
Grand China – contractual termination rights and remedies at law for breach
31 May 2017
Shipbuilding contracts: Tips and traps
1 December 2016
Career and qualifications
- University of Bristol (Bachelor of Science) 1999
- Watson, Farley & Williams 2002
- Admitted as a solicitor in England & Wales 2004
- Norton Rose Fulbright 2009 - 2016
- Joined Clifford Chance as a Partner 2016
- Liveryman of The Worshipful Company of Shipwrights
Awards and citations
- Kate Sherrard has over a decade of experience advising on a range of local and international shipping restructuring and insolvency issues, and is also known for handling related oil, gas and energy work. One client reports that she is "very committed, someone you can rely on to be willing to go the extra mile."
Chambers - Asia Pacific 2018: Shipping: International: Finance, Singapore